Re: @Monk show on 24 April / what a weekend! / Cinci music scene

Brew say:
> all quite extended and fantastic.  Listee Jay made an unexpected
>  detour from camping (hi, Jay!).  Ric yielded the stage to one of his
>  guitar heros Adrian Belew, and Jay and I were nonplussed.

Jay?!
no, Senor - must've been that rasqually Layne Staley again...
stealing my thunder, man! stealing my thunder!!!

>  He just played acoustic and he
>  was definitely more into songs that mechanics
>  that night, 'cos he downright was boring on the guitar.

ah, ok - you got me. it was me.
Bruce is much fun! a very nice surprise to hang out with him.

yes, Monk was great as always.
no, Adrian was *not*. during the few songs i stayed for, all i
could utter was "didn't this guy like play on the
_Downward Spiral_ and stuff?! Trent! come give this guy a hand,
and quick! it's pretty bad up here!"

on camping ~
rare and excellent Friday night in Indiana. 35 degrees, slept under
the stars. chewed a nearly rare steak from my 13" knife, stars visible
all the way down to the horizon. played my doumbek and mridingam
long into the wee hours.
thought we were going to have a 'Deliverence' re-enactment for awhile.
two boisterous rednecks kept taunting us by   s l o w l y  driving
back and forth many times while hootin and hollerin,
and nobody lived anywhere near...
but then, we *were* 4 men, 5 knives, and a .22 rifle.
nothing came of it - found out they were two bored teenagers with
a distaste for cityfolk.

also, the best coffee ever: little aluminum perker right on the coals.

>  Jay's friend (who I'm sure has a name but I've forgotten it) told me
>  that Travis (Better than Ezra [Pound]) and Dave Labruyere are BOTH
>  Vigilantes of Love alums.  So there ya have it.  Another mystery
>  solution brought to the list by Bruce.  :)

that friend would be Dale Dwight Kesterson. he's been teaching me
about the whole 'No Depression' scene for a while.

that VoL ablum would be _welcome to Struggleville_

furthermore, the VoL _Jugular_ abum was produced by Mark Heard
and Peter Buck (and REM was even on IRS at the time).
(i also believe OtR and Mark Heard played C-Stone together in 95
when Mark died)
so there's a full-circle OtR connection!

actually, Dale & i sat in Kaldi's after we left Sawyer Point and
developed a very interesting web:
the incestuous Cincinnati music scene.

we started out by listing the people from our old band ClanDiah
(Dale used to play bass with me) who are now in other bands,
like Jeremy, who now plays in Tremolux with Toby, who used to
play in Plow On Boy along with Mike Georgin, who was OtR's
bassist and so on.

i played with Bridgett (of the Graveblankets) before...
she's great! very sweet, very talented.

Rob Reider also used to be our bassist at one point, who is
Katie's brother, who apparently has made quite a name for
her wonderful self around that town from what i hear. then there
are lots of Marshwiggles/Dave Wolfenberger connections...
and drummer Josh has played for all entities of Dave's music
including Marshwiggles, Katie and Tom Scarecrow.
Ric H. even recorded and played guitar on the Marshwiggles album.

see? weird stuff! and that's just from one moderately successful
independent local band that stayed that way and broke up.

THEN you have the folks that were actually very successful ~
this takes it nationally.
Ric and everyone including Phil Keaggy...
the whole OtR/Monk/Vigilantes/Ezra thing going on there.
and all the Ass Ponys' twistings...
and doesn't the old Monk drummer Josiah play for Gwendolyn speaks?

and then there's Lou (think he was in MilkMine at the time, IIRC),
who beat the snot out of Reverend Horton Heat! after playing at
Bogart's one night long ago, the Rev walked on over to Sudsy's
in a drunken stupor and plowed into Lou's drumkit. is this related?
perhap snot, but great Cincinnati history nonetheless.

Dale and I are quite interested in charting out the Cincinnati
scene over the past ten years, so if any of you have any input...(?)

i'd be grateful!

jay

NP: Depeche Mode Tribute - Rammstein - Stripped.mp3

"You say you've got a bone to pick
Well, there's plenty showin' on me."
David Eugene Edwards - 16 hp
<{---o<(\,- Sïr Edwård Jäy, thæ Sêcönd öv Härnïsh -,/)>--o---}>
	      ^v^	^v^	^v^	ICQ #13819982	^v^	^v^	^v^
        http//members.aol.com/jaharnish2/index.html