Re: Review: Ric Hordinski @ Trinity House Theater, Livonia, MI4/16/99

Chris reviews:
> Livonia is only 4 hours from Columbus, I discovered, but seems much
> longer when driving in the wind and pounding rain.   In attendance
> were: me, Brother Jay, Megan, Brucey (and his 2 German cohorts),
> and Amy-Raven.

you forgot the other non-listie Amy - i think she enjoyed everyone much.
at very least, i think she was quite amused by the antics.

i had too much fun talking to Bruce's two Germans (especially the 50+? upper
manager) about Einsturzende Neubauten and Rammstein. the older gentleman
spread the biggest grin when i held up my Rammstein cd - he said that they
get constant radio attention, and that he's listened to them a bit.

(umm, did you guys notice that he actually ate the brie crust? is that even
*healthy*?
ah well, at least he got it out of the way for us to dive in to the good
stuff)

> The Trinity House Theater is a small, intimate venue with a coffeehouse
feel.

yes! and it's only 6 miles from my house - i think i have a new haunt now.

> I kept waiting for that blond guy to start reciting his beatnik poetry or
> something.  ;-)
>
> We arrived in time for the 2nd show - the first had been sold out.
> The second
> set was about a third the capacity of the 85 person theater.
>
> Ric was playing solo this night, acoustic + effects - shoes.

Ric was also quite personable during and after the show. he's a very nice
fellow.

i much enjoyed his make-it-up-as-you-go-along percussion loops - sure beats
DAT tape! very warm and organic sounding, as long as you don't mind the songs
taking a little while to rev up.

> The rest:
> Ric also came out and improvised on a couple songs with Jan Krist,
> which is always fun to watch.  I also think I talked him into playing
> 'Within Without' again next week at Sudsy's.

Chris - you're taping that one, RIGHT?
again, i'll be in the wooded corners of Indiana.

> After the show, we trekked back to Jay's house, and had a load of fun
> playing
> guitars and banging on drums.  I thoroughly humiliated myself
> whilst attempting to sing 'Road Movie To Berlin' and 'Got Me Wrong'.
> I'm sorry, guys.   It must have been the Jagermeister.  I wish we had
> more time to enjoy hospitality in the Jaymosphere, but the lovely
> Megan had to work in Dayton at 3. I hope she made it back in time.

i enjoyed this gathering very much. the music-making was a little rough at
first, but i thoroughly enjoyed it. under his guidance (and after wrestling
my freezer elf for the Jager) Chris and i followed in the Monk tradition that
made our attention spans a little shorter, and myself a little more
rambunctious on the doumbek.
Bruce, Chris, Megan and Amy-Raven played and sang wonderfully (Chris - your
'Got Me Wrong' was great! don't be so hard on yourself). you all held your
own quite well, and i am thrilled to see so much talent concentrated in the
listie base.

<insert lots o' mushy friendly stuff here>

Bruce - i still wanna perform Murder with you.

next time you'll all have to stick around for breakfast + a little
troublemaking in the motor city.

see many of you on 04.30.99!

Ja(ger)

"When I first came to town
All the people gathered round
They bought me drinks
Lord, how quickly they changed their tune"
Nick Cave - When I First Came To Town
<{---o<(\,- Sïr Edwård Jäy, thæ Sêcönd öv Härnïsh -,/)>--o---}>
	      ^v^	^v^	^v^	ICQ #13819982	^v^	^v^	^v^
        http//members.aol.com/jaharnish2/index.html