Review: Ric Hordinski @ Trinity House Theater, Livonia, MI 4/16/99

Livonia is only 4 hours from Columbus, I discovered, but seems much longer
when driving in the wind and pounding rain.   In attendance were: me, Brother
Jay, Megan, Brucey (and his 2 German cohorts), and Amy-Raven.

The Trinity House Theater is a small, intimate venue with a coffeehouse feel.
I kept waiting for that blond guy to start reciting his beatnik poetry or
something.  ;-)

We arrived in time for the 2nd show - the first had been sold out.  The second
set was about a third the capacity of the 85 person theater.

Ric was playing solo this night, acoustic + effects - shoes.

The setlist:
Circle Of Quiet
One Eye Open
This Train
Speaking With The Angel
Womb Of God

The show:
*Circle Of Quiet*
Ric warmed up for this one by sampling himself beating on his guitar into the
Oberheim Echoplex and looping it as a rhythm track.  This worked to great
effect on this, and a couple other songs.  Jan Krist came out during this song
and played the egg shaker and sang a little backing vox.   This prompted Megan
to write on my notes: "Who's the chick?"  I, of course, responded with: "not a
clue"   I firmly believe that when you see Ric/Monk perform 'Circle Of Quiet',
you're seeing it the way it was meant to be performed.  It's such a great
song.  Mmm Mmm good.

*One Eye Open*
This song is still my reigning favorite from the _Quiver_ album.  Maybe it's
that hook, maybe it's the lyrics, I dunno.   Regardless, I love it.  Ric did
more looping with the Echoplex, which is always fun.

*This Train*
This was requested by our own Bruce Lachey.  Ric said he'd never played that
one acoustic before, and if it wasn't working, he was gonna bail in the
middle.   It turned out rather well, though I miss Dave LaBruyere's bass on
this song.  Maybe next week.  ;-)

*Speaking With The Angel*
Ric always does this Ron Sexsmith cover quite well with the acoustic.

*Womb Of God*
Another solid _Quiver_ track.  Done acoustically, this made a nice windup for
the show.

The rest:
Ric also came out and improvised on a couple songs with Jan Krist, which is
always fun to watch.  I also think I talked him into playing 'Within Without'
again next week at Sudsy's.

After the show, we trekked back to Jay's house, and had a load of fun playing
guitars and banging on drums.  I thoroughly humiliated myself whilst
attempting to sing 'Road Movie To Berlin' and 'Got Me Wrong'.  I'm sorry,
guys.   It must have been the Jagermeister.  I wish we had more time to enjoy
hospitality in the Jaymosphere, but the lovely Megan had to work in Dayton at
3.   I hope she made it back in time.

Anyway, who's going to be at Sudsy's?
--
NP: Steve Hackett - _Voyage Of The Acolyte_
ICQ: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery