Re: wake and smell the fucking coffee

"Paul Christian Glenn" <trance at radiks_net> sez:
>>what excellent case can be made for isolaitionism?  i
>>haven't heard of one yet.
>
>Then you evidently haven't looked very far.  Let's take a look at American
>society/culture and it's growth (quality, not quantity) between the civil war and
>WWI, as compared to the same between WWII and today.  Which world would I want to
>live in?  I have to go with the self-sufficient, self-concerned, and self-governed
>one.  Getting involved in the affairs of other countries puts us at the mercy of
>foreign relations, and who needs that headache on top of what we already have to
>deal with?

Well, keep in mind that in the era that you're talking about, it was a lot
easier to isolate ourselves, since transatlantic travel wasn't as commonplace
then.  Isolationism qua isolationism isn't possible in the same way as it was
in that era.

>Ah, yes.  The almighty dollar.  Who gives a shit what they do to their people, so
>long as we can make a buck.

I'll go along with this one.

>>thirdly, i lived there for 9 years,
>>and i can assure you there are no ethnic cleansing and the human rights
>>problem is not nearly as bad as some would have you believe.
>
>Um, okay.  I'll just disregard all the reports and videotapes because you say it
>ain't so bad.  Being (I presume) an American citizen, I can't imagine that it was
>all that bad for *you*.

You presume wrong, Senor Glenn.

>>but thank
>>you for referring to it as "fucking china" though.
>
>No problem.  I'll continue to do so, if it pleases ya.  :)

heh.
--
NP: Various - _The Matrix_ (sndtrk)
ICQ: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery