Re: are you being served?

"l. godlove" <nycteris at excite_com> sez:
>okay, Binkers and Ysoi's bickers formulated a long developing question in my
>bizzare little mind:
>
>which server is the best?
>
>if you can't tell, between indigoebony, suneidesis, and nycteris, excite,
>hotmail, and yahoo...I haven't figured so much myself.  each has perks and
>downsides.  so, pray tell.  report back for duty here on the digest.  tell
>us (in fifty words or less) why your server is dandy keen, why your server
>is not dandy keen, etc.

My server is dandy keen because it's not a web-based email client.

For the record, many of the cons you cite are inherent in using a free,
web-based system.

>my report:
>
>"get your own private e-mail, free at hotmail"

I also have a hotmail account: snd_chaser at hotmail_com

>hotmail (suneidesis)
>pros:
>--page numbered inbox.
>--stationary option.

Stationery is not much good unless you send HTML encoded email, which is a
NO-NO.

>cons:
>--created folders are not readily accessible.

One extra click on the 'Folders' button.

>--it is infamous for hiccupping

I've never had a problem.

>--and the powers that be are very difficult to contact and complain to (more
>so than unsubscribing)

Actually, you can't unsubscribe for 6 months of inactivity.  Steve Levering
will now explain the paradox inherent in that system.

>--the entire hotmail service is very popular, so oft times the account is
>difficult next to immpossible to access on slower modems or during conjested
>hours.

Heh.  Modems.  ;-)

>--trash automatically deleted.

That's user-configurable.

>excite: (nycteris)

No experience.

>yahoo:  (indigoebony)

No experience.

The other web-based email I use is DogMail: diggity at dog_com
DogMail
pros:
--nobody knows about it, so it's super speedy
--nice inbox/folder storage interface
--seems to be reliable delivery

cons:
--NO POP3 account polling.   This is BAD.
--Lots of PETA & Iams ads everywhere.

>I suppose, being the internet, and being computers, there isn't a failsafe
>way to make certain words are properly traded, saved, etc.

SMTP!   POP3!  IMAP!

>one of my dear author friends remarked, with wryness, it's a pity so many
>great minds e-mail.  so many words are regularly lost.

Mine seem to find their way hither and yon with no trouble.

>I joked last night that I should save my letters and publish them, since I
>can't seem to write independant of a compose box.  then I realise the
>majority of them have been deleted or lost in hiccups over time...

Always save text to your PC.  ;-)
--
NP: Yaz - _Upstairs At Eric's_
ICQ: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery