A gift to all of you

Hi everyone.

It's been a long time since I posted to this list, but it seems to have
done just fine in my long absence.  Folks, I have a gift that I'd like to
give to y'all who can use it.  Don't know how long it'll be up, but I don't
see any problem from this side with doing this.

I'm the IT manager for one of the departments here at the U of M, and as a
result, I've got several machines to work with.  One of them - the server -
has a fairly powerful webserver.

Most to all of you are good Rhinelanders, having bought all five albums or
very close to that.  We have the music and we listen to it a lot.  When I'm
here at work, I use my CD collection rather extensively.  Recently, I
picked up a CD-to-mp3 ripper that works beautifully in the background of my
computer (Audio Catalyst, for those who are interested).  I grab the tracks
that I want and AC puts it into one of my directories on the server.  Well,
I've been starting to do this with my OtR cds, because I really like the
idea of being able to listen to my music while throwing service pack cds in
and out of my workstation.  Just makes it easier, and since we've got nice
big fat EtherNet lines here at the U, the 'ripped' tracks might as well be
on my hard drive.

This is where you come in.  I'm sure a lot of you have mp3 players as well.
 We don't get to hear OtR on the radio (someday, I hope), so we al listen
to CDs or tapes.  So, if you would like, I offer my meager services and the
mp3s that I have been making for myself so that you can enjoy your OtR fix
when at the computer as well.  I'm doing this in great part because we all
have this music, and many folks don't have the capabilities to make mp3s
out of it, however convenient it might be.

So, without further ado...

http://160.94.235.245/mp3/otr

I can't guarantee how long it will be up or if someone is going to come
down on me (I would hope they don't, but it's their call, I guess)
concerning this.  right now, there are about 15-20 songs there.  I'm
looking to expand this to the entire CD corpus in the next weeks, porvided
it stays around.

Enjoy, everybody.  Oh, and there are other mp3s a little lower in the
parent directory.  I'll leave you to explore and make you own decisions
about it.  Oh, and please do take care not to advertise this cache further
unless someone you know who is a fan would like it.  Setting up some of the
excess cycle time  to this job is one thing - but making this it's sole
purpose is not.  If the server starts getting in the way of its normal
work, I'll shut down quickly.

In the meantime, download!  Go!

My Ubiquitous Valentines are a Poche,
-Drew

[O] Drew Johnson - CLA - Office of Info Tech
[O] x5-4885 - http://lucix.cla.umn.edu/djohnson/
[O] djohnson at cla_umn.edu - ICQ: 10800645