Home (Name Change)

I have been waiting until I had the time to write that I felt you all
deserved.  Sorry if it has been slow in coming.

I was driving home from my grandmothers (I have dinner with her every
Tuesday), looking out over the bug killers that illuminate suburban (if it
can be truly called that) Pittsburgh.  That is when the words started coming
that I wanted to share with all of you.  It did not come as I sat in front
of this radiation emitter‹ that is surely killing me while keeping me in
contact with you‹ but while I turned my wheel sharply to the left in order
to navigate the corner that inspiration almost made me ignore.

It was those (now infamous) million points of light that made me think:
There must be one of those for each moment that I had this weekend.  That's
when I started naming them all.

There was the porch light, when I walked up to the Tavern and recognized
Bink.

There was the airplane above when I first saw the morning sky in Lindsey's
eyes.  (It is said OtR fans are beutiful.  This is true both inside and out
as far as I have seen.)

There was the search light (which was unfortunately most likely just
advertising some grand used car sale) when Yz drove up and insisted that
every start messing up my hair.  (What can I say, you gotta love Yz.  I feel
so blessed to be in the same city as her.)

There was the traffic light turned green when Jay spoke with me in-between
sets.

A living room light was turned on, as I passed by the moments when I recited
poetry back and forth with fellow listies.

The street lamp when Dearly Beloved opened the door, and the one right next
to it for when the little guy wouldn't wake up no matter how loud we were.

There were just so many lights.  They filled the space of tonight, in the
same way that they filled the time of Saturday.  Yet, in my greed I would
have more of them.  I am very sorry that I did not get to spend an entire
evening with each of you.  I'd be thrilled to spend half of an eternity with
any of those I met.  I would have thrilled at every second.  As it is, I
shall have to remain content with the contact that we did have.  I certainly
look forward to next time.

Funny.  Finally seeing Over The Rhine live was nowhere near the height of
the evening.  (I had seen them once before but I was correct in my
assessment that it was not anywhere nearly as good as it could have been.
Every group has an off night, and thus I don't count it.)

This is my last post under this name.  This weekend has pushed me to the
brink.  I'm starting my quest for publication.  This is a small step, but it
is an important one for me.  There are many reasons why, and if anyone wants
the full explanation, then I will give it to them.  I'm changing my email
signature to my pen name.

I love you all,
Gardner McPherson
--
"I've never met a man who quotes himself so much.  Is that even legal?"

Lindsey Godlove- upon meeting Gardner