This header was dumb....

interesting thing, really....

yes, i agree that we should not be abrasive toward one another in all
of this. it's as if something has snuck into the orchard guests and
it's causing us to turn on ourselves.... i hope it's not coming to
that on account of the possibility of OtR's making it big.

i know for a fact that all of us Rhinelanders will stand behind the
band, whatever decision is made. but i think that a little part of us
will want to die inside if they do sign a big record deal and even do
well with it. OtR has become like family, maybe more so. to an extent
i believe we love having them as our own "little secret" which we
ourselves want to spread to the world. we want to be envolved with
their success. but we can only do so much, go so far. the band must
take the steps we cannot. we cannot be overprotective and smother them
just as effectively as a group of teeny boppers.

i would agree that some of us on the list who are artists and writers
and musicians (speaking for myself) would love to have the opportunity
to sign a major record deal or what have you. and yes, there are those
who would do anything *within reason* to do so. but instead of trying
to make them decide for US and what WE might do, the band needs to be
able to make that final decision THEMSELVES. and we need to respect
that.

after reading so many posts and arguments the past week regarding
this, i have begun to rethink my own strategy as a musician. i want to
have control and say over the final presentation of my music. it's too
dear to me to allow just anyone to dictate how i should do it. if i
got the opprtunity to be signed on a big label, i don't know what i'd
do. yeah, maybe i would hop aboard, but much of me now feels that i
could be happy with a niche' audience, a family who cares for me and
supports me in my music and the goals set within.

i don't need the world's biggest crowd, but i wouldn't mind my own
following.  in the long run, whatever decision i would make in this
situation, i would want to be right in my heart of hearts with it, i
would want to be happy with what i do, on whatever level it is.

and right now, i'm happy scraping by waiting tables and playing out as
much as i can come nightfall.

we should not be jealous of the position the band is in, but
respective of it. we should want to keep them as family, but not
smother them with our personal agendas. and in all things, we should
support OtR in all things and continue to be a sounding board if
requested.

thank you very much.

i'm late for work.

bink