the 1st time.

      jack was telling her bout the 1st time we saw OtR--i was just
listening.  jack makes me wonder if our truths are kinda like stories,
cuz he makes me remember life's a mite grander than i frequently say
it to be.
      he was telling her bout the time in 93 or so when we all decided
to go on a big adventure beyond the mississippi. had been planning it
for months & had all our gear packed up & such.
      1 week before our planned adventure, as fate would have it, the
mississippi flooded.  we argued it out a while--wondering where the
hell we were gonna find adventure in laurence county.  we ended up
camping in wv--just running around, unshaven, unshowered--enjoying the
woods & campfire tea & feeling like we were real for a while.
       then jack got this crazy idea.  while we all were looking like
badass rovers, he gets this notion to see an lsu concert (did somebody
mention mike knott and lsu none too far back?).  thing is, lsu is
playing in columbus.
       can't remember why i decided to go along.  i like lsu all
right, suppose.  enough to drive so far for their concert, i dunno.
maybe deodorant & shaving makes thoughts clearer & me, having used
neither for several days--well, i thought columbus & a concert sounded
pretty good.
      so jack & me split from the others.  drove up and went to see
lsu.  the concert was o.k.  somebody in the audience was passing out
these little cards.  i got 1.  it said something like:

        hi.  we're over the rhine.
        we like lsu too.   we're waiting till
        after their show before we start ours.

        then provided directions to a bar across town somewhere.

(sorry that ain't word for word right--damn, wish i had that card
still.)

        i was sure up for galavanting still.  we had gas still.  so we
went on over to the bar to see otr for the 1st time...

       oh.  sorry.  guess i'm boring you.  if you wanna here anymore,
i'm happy to keep talking...
did i tell you this story allready?

       (cuz it gets really good)

                                 --TW