RE: Stuffing The Ballot Box (or, how i learned to stop moshing and love the Rhine)

(hello from a lurker... i don't believe i've posted here more than once or
twice in the last year or longer)

on the religion vs secular poll...  (since it's been a slow day at work so
far)

my first exposure to OtR was a show they played at the Chameleon in
Lancaster, PA (home of the Innocence Mission, +Live+, and the Ocean Blue).
this would have been right around when Patience first came out..  i'd not
heard of them before but had been hearing some of my (decidedly Christian,
FWIW) friends ranting & raving.  needless to say, after an underwhelming
opening act the whole house proceded to stand dumbstruck at the incredible
show put before them (i'm guessing only 15-25% of the people present were
familiar with the band, but the place was fairly full).  my only complaint
of the evening was that Karin seemed so shy/uncomfortable on stage that you
felt a slight bit guilty watching her.

i promptly headed for the DJ booth and bought copies of Till We Have Faces
and Patience.

[amusing quote from the kids in front of me in line to get in that night:
"so, who are these guys?"  "i dunno.. i think they're supposed to sound like
the 10,000 Maniacs."]

so i suppose you could say that i came to OtR from the religious end of the
pool but that's not really how i perceived them, both at the time and since.

i've seen them a number of times since, most recently being with the Cowboy
Junkies at Wolf Trap, VA.  (amazing show, regardless of the little squares
of paper in my mouth and some good wine...  :) )

matt