lyrics

Vic, et al

Thanks for starting a discussion!! Lyrics are vital (this is of course a
subjective opinion) and I would say that the marriage of words and music,
when it is done well (more subjectivity), is absolute bliss.

OTR hits this bliss quite often. and I would say Eve and GDBD are better
examples than Patience or TWHF--because the marriage between lyric and
music is more cohesive and fluid. The melancholia that you're responding to
in GDBD is wonderful, and I would have to argue that we humans need the
"blues" whether we are actually blue or not, for some deeper spiritual
reason that is difficult to name.

I think OTR (and the Cowboy Junkies for that matter) have some of the best
lyrics around.

Though bands like Phish or Jon Spencer have their place. I mean, you have
to rock too, right?

Matteo