Alanis: This too shall pass

>Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 15:41:05 PST
>From: "Bruce Lachey" <b_lachey at hotmail_com>
>Subject: Alanis bashing.
>
>I don't get it.  I understand it's very "Western Culture" to rip someone
>to shreds when their personal fame clock hits 0:15, but I kinda like a
>lot of her stuff.
>
>"Thank you India, providence, disillusionment,
> nothingness, clarity, thank you silence"  --
>
>is a pretty clever and well performed bit that essentially describes her
>last two years out of the light.  The single's well produced [maybe
>that's what turns some of you off (?!)] and is "real".  Though I realise
>that people can have diverging musical interests from mine, it
>simultaneously baffles me as well.  Quite the paradox.

Hmmm..."Thank you India" describes her last two years...I'll have to think
about that one.  Did she sell alot of records there?  Actually, I'd prefer
if she were a little more thankful for nothingness and silence.
As for "real"...Alanis was a teeny bopping Debbie Gibson clone in Canada.
She was teamed up with producer Glenn Ballard (known for his work with
artists of great integrity, like Wilson Phillps) for her first proper U.S.
album.  They must have decided that angry grrl music was "in" at the time.
Talk about contrived.
This too shall pass.
matt