Re: Alanis bashing.

Broocey baby seemed interested in a reply when he said:

> I don't get it.  I understand it's very "Western Culture" to rip someone
> to shreds when their personal fame clock hits 0:15, but I kinda like a
> lot of her stuff.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, let alone a whole culture, (maybe
later when I get a bit better ;P) but I can speak for myself.  I haven't
heard anything of AM except what they play on the radio.  I have heard
"You ought to know", which **I percieved** to be a shock rock cover tune
that was orchestrated to be a "grab you around the collar and make you
take notice of this angry young woman" marketing ploy.  I remember
"Ironic" because it was such a ---- up lyrically (insert your own four
letter expletive!) And beyond that all I remember is a bunch of mediocre
music and TOO MUCH hype about this "Angry Young Woman".  Culturally
speaking (since you brought it up) we live in a country where very
talented singer songwriters (and pseudo folk pop outfits) are literally
pushed aside in order for record labels, image consultants, and
marketing agencies to "create" the latest teen fad.  Whatever will make
the most millions gets shoved to the forefront and crammed in our
faces.  It's not about artistic integrity, it's not about telling your
story through music. It's about industry "fat cats" getting a yacht or
12 weeks a year in St. Thomas.  Frankly, it's very sickening.  WARNING
here comes a wierd metaphor.  It's like if vegetarians protest eating
beef because the cow has been "raped" and exploited by the human race,
then Alannis Morisette has been the grain that fed those cows and we are
the cows!!  You think I'm wrong?  Wait.  Alannis will fall to the same
fate as Milli Vanilli, NKotB, Another Bad Creation, The Macarena for
god's sake! and countless others including Madonna (who's become more of
a parody of herself than anything else).  But please don't feel bad for
liking any of these or any other "fad" artists.  I'm not saying there's
no talent here. I'm just saying that for whatever reasons, these are the
poor folks who are servants to fame.  Servants to money, whatever.  Of
course there will be instances of enjoyment for countless people, and
there's nothing wrong with that.  Heck, I even entertained the thought
of buying a _Blessid Union of Souls_ CD last night.  I just can't let a
comment like Alannis being an "angry wordsmith...on a [great] comeback"
go by--sorry Jillian :).  But that's the story that I'm sticking to.

Peace,

Mark

"Anything for money,
they'll lie to you,