Re: @ REM (No OtR)

Bruce Lachey wrote:

> Jeez, REM has always been pop.  Make no mistake, there's nothing wrong
> with that.  Murmer, almost universally hailed as a masterwork, was just
> folk tinged pop (Catapult, 9-9, We Walk).  I typically only enjoy like
> half of any REM album of the last 10 years (save Automatic, which drew
> me in start to end).  Monster had "Let Me In" and "King of Comedy",
> Hi-Fi had "Leave".

Yeah. "Leave" is really great. "E-Bow the Letter," too. And "Be Mine" has
always struck some chord in me. I just don't seem to like the "glammy" REM
as much, I guess. It just doesn't sit well with me for some reason. It's
like it doesn't fit or something like that.

> Definitely OoTime's "Country Feedback" is up there on the list of
> sublime songs.  It was one of them that I hated in the beginning, and
> it's the only thing I love of the CD still.

Really? It's actually kind of surprising to me that people here don't seem
to dig _Out of Time_. I think it's really great. In '91 and '92, there
wasn't a better band, imo.

> The new one, Up, out next Tuesday, is said to be really good stuff.  But
> WB promotions has us believing that about everything.  They've been
> playing "Lotus" on the radio here a bit, something other than
> "Daysleeper" from the new one.  Really good.  The album graphics are
> pretty cool.

Is "Lotus" more loud, glammy stuff? I've heard it's pretty much the only
real rock song on the CD.

np: my roommate watching SportsCenter in the other room

Peace, hope, love, Jesus Christ - Layner
...it meant the world to hold a bruising faith,
but now it's just a matter of grace...           - Smashing Pumpkins