the atlanta show - (kinda long)

downtown atlanta, right across from centennial olympic park,
The Tabernacle - a converted church where nearly every blank space has
been painted with designs in deep, rich hues.  ornate and elegant wooden
cabinets are scattered about within.  lovely, intimate lounges look upon
the city lights.

the concert hall itself was once the sanctuary.  two tiers of balconies
overlook the stage, the magnificent chandelier, the grand organ pipes
perched above the draped black backcloth onstage.

karin: "this is the most beautiful place we've ever played."

the slogan on a bartender's shirt: "The Tabernacle - where music meets
the soul."
Marilyn Manson is to be dropping by pretty soon.  egad.

so, the show.  here comes karin in that short 'do and a sheer gold lame'
skirt over a little-black-dress.  and linford with his always-buttoned
top button and an orange jacket.  and jack/gordon/whatever with his
yeah-it's-supposed-to-look-messed-up hair style and shirt undone at the
top so you could see his cross pendant - or whatever it was - sitting on
his chest.  then there's that new bassist who reminded me of one the
guys in Garbage.  and Brian - well, he was nearly out of my view.

at one point, jack/gordon was kind of twitching like a malfunctioning
robot.  a little disturbing.  but then that could've just been the
contrast with karin's fluid movements.  terri however -- she looked as
if she didn't know what to do with her hands.  they were just hanging
there kind of awkwardly most of the time.  and she was swaying through
both the otr and cj shows like a wind-up doll that only moves like those
girls in the Robert Palmer videos.  maybe it's just me -- but she didn't
seem that into it or something.  tired?  uncomfortable?  ah I don't
know.

they opened with "Faithfully Dangerous", and you couldn't understand
much of what karin was saying.  and the sound guy was sitting back
through most of their set either looking weary on the phone or looking
weary with his chin cupped in his hand.

they announced the second song - a new one.  but I couldn't tell you the
name.  for, as I said, their sound wasn't too hot.  and, like a nearby
CJ fan remarked to his neighbor, "she has a soft voice, doesn't she?"

boy, does she.  her talks between songs were hard to translate half the
time.  her voice just fluttered into the air and resounded like
whispering angels.  which was a nice enough effect - but, well, I have
no idea now what that second song was.  the chorus was mostly a repeated
"woo hoo hoo" ( ? - I really don't remember exactly). and the only line
I could make out was "wipe (or dry) your tears."   ?.
if anybody has an idea...

then "The Seahorse", which I haven't heard live in over a year.  much
improved, much improved.  but I'm sure most of you know that by now.
that is, if you're like me and DO find it improved.
oh anyway, ehem..

then came "All I need..", which was followed by "Poughkeepsie".
here they lost the crowd.  what started as a faint din, rose in volume
to nearly equal the same chattering that was going on before the show.
and this continued until the final song.

next was another new song that I couldn't make out the name.  it sounded
like she said "bothered" and my friend said perhaps 'twas "Bonded"
because that word (maybe) kept popping up a few times.  in the chorus, I
suppose.
I don't know.  all I can think is perhaps it was this "Moth" you guys
mention.  whatever it was, I liked it less than the first new song with
the garbled title.

then came "Latter Days" - which was REALLY hard to hear because of the
quiet nature of karin's singing it.

they ended with "Goodbye".  and with that song they captured the
audience's attention again.

then here comes the Cowboy Junkies and I was ready to leave.  but one
friend is a fan, so we stuck around.  so I figured my greatest enjoyment
would come from watching the artistry with light, and glancing over and
noting the progress of the lusty (and well-lit) duo tongue-wrestling
downstairs.
but CJ - well, it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.  I actually
enjoyed the rest of the show.  'tho we scampered out before the encores.
but we did stop downstairs long enough to get one last glimpse of
linford's slow rocking on the hammond and karin moving like music
itself.

overall, it wasn't all THAT bad - even though karin was all muffled and
subdued (but I guess since they're not the headliners "who gives a rip
if they can't hear 'em?! - they didn't pay to see THEM.")