A simple response turns into a bitch session

> But would OtR have/listen to an image consultant? I think they just sort of go
> with the flow. Something about foolish hobgoblins.

Yes, I do believe the new Over the Rhine would waste their money on an
image consultant.  That may have been the same pissant that told linford
that it was bad to have musical diversity in the group so he should get
rid of ric and mike.  As much as I want to pretend that OTR is still the
same homegrown group of folks that just want to play good music and sing
good songs, all evidence points to...oh my, i hate to say this...i
really do, 'cause i don't like throwing this term around...but i'd be
prone to say that Over the Rhine is starting to sell out.  You know, it
ain't it judgement call, it's just a statement based upon the facts that
have been presented recently.  They're moving in a pop direction,
distilling their sound by rejeceting diversity; they're moving the focus
from the band to just karin.  And I have a question: why the hell do
they keep Terri around?  Does she really need to tour with the band?
She just "ooooooo"s and shimmies for the audience.  Granted, she does do
something keen for the sound of the band, something that ought to be
recorded in a studio, but does she really need to go on the road?  Does
she even play her violin anymore or is she just some glorified go-go
girl schlepping around in the back?

I understand that OTR is gettin' on in years and wants to hit it big
before they retire to go raise little ones in The Orchard, so I'm not
judging their "sell out" tactics as bad per se.  But I do definitely see
it as a sell out and distillation of the sound.

And, by the way, do they have any idea how important the "behind the
scenes" people are to the ambience of the band?  I don't think they do.
Or else they'd be treating them better.

And another thing, where the hell is my Northern Spy?   Talk about a
freakin' jip.

And a final thought 'cause, well, it's 5 am and I'm probably gonna be
sorry that i wrote this tomorrow.  This is an extra special nugget of
love for the band's eyes only ('cause I honestly believe that this will
reach the band and my deliverence sanctified by the permeation of
truth):  Guys, you may think you're hot shit but you still ain't big
enough to forget the people who got you where you are.

Ain't life grand?

On a happy note, I did turn some people at the radio station I work at
on to Over the Rhine.  So hopefully if you live in the Bay Area you'll
have a little more chance of hearing them on the airwaves.

  Grumpy 'Cause i Ain't Got No Coffee and It's time for Bed,
     Nathan

NP: Six-String Samurai Soundtrack (containing the omnipresent threat,
    "If I were you, I'd run," followed by the ultra-witty tidbit
    of reparte, "If you were me, you'd be good-looking.")