RE: Christian or what?!

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Paul Glenn wrote:

> To me, the real perplexing question is this: "Why is it such a big deal?"
> It seems that there can only be two reasons to be riled over this question:
> A) You are vehemently opposed to listening to anything labeled "Christian",
> or B) You are scared to death of listening to anything that is *not*
> Christian.  Both positions are ridiculous.  I'm just thrilled that OtR
> continues to find an audience and make music.

Good points.  I would like to add, however,
C) You are not a Christian and resent that others would refer to a band
you like as being "Christian"  (i guess because you don't see the imagery
in the music, or choose to interpret it differently)

D) You are a Christian and resent that others don't appreciate that
aspect of Over the Rhine's background.

My comments sprout from the context of my own view, which is that Linford
and Karin (and what about the other members)'s Christian spirituality
most definitely leaks into the songs they write.  This seems a reasonable
view--though I appreciate, Paul, that you asked how much acceptance of
the "label" matters.

--Jenna