Re: Reply to Lisa's Reply

> >     OTR on the
> >
> >Obviously Chris doesn't understand either you get it or you don't.
>
> Hey, guys!   I have a club, and OTR are big supporters of my club.
> All their songs and lyrics tell me that, and I *know* it.   What's
> that?   You don't get the same meaning from it?   Well, obviously it's
> because you're not in the club, and that means you'll never see it the
> way I do unless you join my club.

Trust me.  Most of the people in the "club" don't get it either.  It's all
in interpretation.

> Sounds kinda silly when you look at it that way, doesn't it?

Not really.  It's a pretty common idea.  Take a nickname for instance.  My
friends call me Tank, Bear, or Shaggy, but if you'd never seen me that
really wouldn't mean much.  What if you had never seen the Simpsons, and I
went "D'oh" when I did something stupid.  You wouldn't get it.  It's not a
bash to say that you might not "get" some of the nuiances.  This is why
OtR doesn't wnt to be a "christian band"  They want people to like their
music on their personal level, not some standard that the artist sets.
Everybody, just chill a little.  I enjoy talking about this, but some
people get way too defensive when the topic arises.

> >I'll be glad to give my interpretations of some lyrics, give me a little
> >time.  Does your open mind close as soon as the name Christ enters the
> >picture?
>
> Not at all.   If it did, would I be talking about it?  I'm testing the
> waters to see how open *your* minds are.   ;-)

Good point, Chris.  It seems that some people think that every one of
OtR's songs has some hidden deeper meaning.  They don't, but I have to say
that some of them do serious soul searching and come out with an answer
that sounds a lot to me like Christ.  Buy, hey, I'm not the be all, end
all of music, so it doesn't really matter.

> >And by the way Mister Emery I'm not trying to convert you, but have you
> >ever heard of conviction?
>
> Yes, I have.   Is it relevant?   I don't think so.

Come on, Chris.  Lighten up.  Don't you have things that you're passionate
about?  Things you like to tell others about?  Maybe the approach wasn't
the most diplomatic, but our Moody friend sounds fairly willing to listen
to your side of the matter.

Steve Swanson

Follow-Ups: References: