RE: Speaking of "Goodbye"...

Since the topic has been brooched, let me say, I think I have to side with
Mr. Georgin on this one. The six new songs I've heard from OtR since forming
the sixpiece last year are in a far more Top40 pop direction than even the
material on GDBD that Ric was uncomfortable enough with to leave the group.
Not to say I don't love them. Tumbleweeds has a neat edginess to it. And I
Will Remember's 8+ minutes and general weirdness will definitely eliminates
it as a candidate for most radio station's playlists. But few of these new
songs plumb the friction between sensual and the spiritual like GDBD or even
a good portion of Eve, and was certainly representative of their early work.
I mean, the loop-styled drums on Moth and the overt sentimentality of Anyway
and the blatantly Beatle-esque bass line and melody of Goodbye clearly mark
that OtR is willing to modify themselves for commercial acceptance. Reminds
me a little of Linford's "Nashville" phase that sprung songs like Lucy and
Last Night.

That said, Mike G said these songs were to serve a purpose: get OtR a major
record deal. So, it's logical to assume while they are going though this
period they would naturally put their most commercial foot forward and
reserve the artsy, sexy stuff until they are standing on the terra firma of
a comfortable recording contract. Or maybe they will slowly evolve into Ace
of Base.

Either way, I have to say that these new songs, while very, very good, do
not resonate with me the way material from Good Dog Bad Dog and Eve and 'Til
We Have Faces did the first time I heard it. It doesn't resonate the same
intimacy that the earlier material did (shades of the band's new psychic
distance from its audience?) and forged such an immediate bond between
performer and listener. It seems to me the new material is a little more
guarded than previous efforts.

Oh well.

Whatever you say, it's all about you.

BSC