Tips for Ravinia Shows

>>7/29/98   Ravinia, Highland Park IL

Cool! I was hoping!! Come on down!

But due to our Poi Dog Pondering experience last summer, I feel I should offer
these words of advice on Ravinia, specifically going to see pop shows there
(can't speak for the classical ones), for any who haven't yet done so:

If you're opting for lawn seats (only $10! bring your friends!), go EARLY. I
mean WAY EARLY. You want to be there as soon as they open up, so you can get a
lawn seat near the pavillion. This will ensure you a fighting chance to hear
the show over legions of loud fans, being all yappy and chatty through
everything, seemingly having forgotten that they came to hear a concert. This
is likely to happen during the OtR set since most people will have come to
hear the Junkies. Heck, even during Poi Dog, the headliner, people were so
yappy that we couldn't hear most of the show. (Due partly because they were
all drunk, I think.) Why were they drunk? Read on.

Now, you may be thinging, "what am I gonna do for four hours?"...and the
answer to that is, of course, eat, drink, and be merry. They allow almost
anything in, including lawn chairs, tables, coolers, alcohol...everything
except grills I think. It's one of the rare, cool places that doesn't try to
rake you by making you buy $5 beers. So people come with these gigantic
spreads, with wine and cheese and candles and stuff.

If you're buying pavillion seats ($30 - ouch), you can still do the lawn
thing, but you get to scamper (gloating) to your seat at showtime.

You can get directions and all the info you need at www.ravinia.org.