Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V2 #184

Hi, I got on this e-mail gig, and I don't know how.  I am getting 36
messages a day and I don't know what the heck there about!! So if you could
please take me off the list or whatever, I would appreciate it!!! Thank you
so much and sorry about the mix up:)
Leah

----------
> [...]
> 	kiss my bass
> 	Re: kiss my bass
>
> See the end of the digest for information on subscribing to the
> Over-The-Rhine mailing list and on how to retrieve back issues.

> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 07:50:38 EDT
> From: Kendrickjd at aol_com
> Subject: Re: phooey!

> > I missed the coveted Karin and Liford shows
>
> i  caught a karin and linford only show in atlanta.  that's not too far
from
> you, mark.
> lucky me,
> jan
>
> np: tori amos, crucify
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 07:55:05 EDT
> From: Kendrickjd at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Lilith baby

> > Awwwww yeah. I can live without Paula Cole
>
> i know this is a little un-related to OTR, but...  i bought paula cole's
first
> album, and i like several of the songs, but i heard that her first album
was
> much better, so i bought it.  it truly is.  i remember hearing a song
called
> "bethlehem" several years ago, but i had no idea who sang it.  it was
paula
> cole.  if you sort of like her stuff, but are a little tired of "where
have
> all the cowboys gone" get her first album.  songs like "bethlehem" and
"watch
> the woman's hands" make it really a good album.
>
> jan
>
> np: paula cole, harbinger
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 05:18:59 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "elmo'" <elmore_j at yahoo_com>
> Subject: Wade Jaynes
>
> Li'l Brucey wrote:
> > > It's official I guess.  The big bad Mike man is out.  It seems he
> wanted to pursue more jazz oriented stuff, and the decision seems
> mutual and they are great friends.
>

> Then Jason Andrew Newby wrote:
> >This is GREAT news!  Wade Jaynes is the most tastefully melodic bass
> ever...blah blah blah
>
> Jason...are you smoking CRACK?  Evidently you never heard/saw Mike
> play...that boy ruled!  This is not a knock agaisnt Wade...just an
> affirmation of Mike's skills...
>
> i'm sure gonna miss that bald-headed, bass-slappin, mr. clean-lookin',
> hip-hoppin', fukengruven, sumbitch.
>
> pardon me while I retreat into the darkness to pound my fists in
> impotent fury and curse cruel fate.
>
> Let the melodrama begin...
>
> tearfully,
> Elmo'
>
> np:  Bob Mould:  Workbook
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 98 08:36:31 PDT
> From: "jg900" <jg900 at bright_net>
> Subject: attention Mike Georgin
>
> YOU GET YOUR ASS BACK TO THE BAND RIGHT THIS INSTANT!!
> DO YOU HEAR ME,  YOUNG MAN?
>

> (I hope i sounded enough like your mother or father to be influential.
Call it  "tough love,"  buddy.)

> yours,
> jg
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 13:02:35 GMT
> From: cemery at iwaynet_net (Chris Emery)
> Subject: Re: Wade Jaynes
>
> Recalling the power of trains, Jason Andrew Newby
> <Jason.A.Newby at wheaton_edu> said:
>
> >This is GREAT news!  Wade Jaynes is the most tastefully melodic bass
> >player ever.
>
> That's a pretty odd thing to say.   Ever heard Tony Levin?  Chris
> Squire?  Mike Georgin?  I bet I can name 10 better melodic bass
> players.
>
> >He is nothing short of incredible and  Linford made a
> >wonderful call in bringing him in, if only for a few shows.
>
> Feh.   I'm still *very* disappointed in Mike's departure.
>
> >Most people know him for his work with Chagall Guevara or his studio
work
> >for Steve Taylor and Phil Keaggy.  The Chagall tracks were genius.
>
> Jason A. Newby, you're starting to worry me.   If his playing with
> Steve Taylor and Chagall Guevara (another Steve Taylor project) are
> any indication, then he may prove adequate.
>
> >I liked Linford's playing back in the early days, but this is the most
> >exciting OTR news I've heard in quite some time.
>
> Did you ever see Mike play with the group?
>
> - --NP: Big Head Todd And The Monsters - _Beautiful World_
> ICQ #: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 13:06:43 GMT
> From: cemery at iwaynet_net (Chris Emery)
> Subject: Re: Little Ian
>
> Recalling the power of trains, "jg900" <jg900 at bright_net> said:
> >hi.
>
> Hiya.
>
> > as he should,  i suppose.   i was thinking that anne e.  plays a lot
louder than OtR  and maybe I could bring little ian along to the OtR show,
and get him babysat for the anne gig instead, but dearly beloved wants to
look after his little ears and little lungs, so we'll be doing just one
show this weekend,  and,  much as i love anne,  i love OtR lots more.   I
did invite anne to the OtR show,

> Bet she'll stand you up again, what with her big FemmeFest or whatever
> the next day.
>
> >so if i'm  really lucky,  (and I haven't been so far,)  maybe i'll see
her there.   seems unlikely.   i have invited another OtR "virgin"  to this
show,  too.  really hoping she'll come.  i 'm  thinking those hideous
deformities that single me out from the crowd  tend to dissuade potential
"dates" from being seen in public with me.

> So what is it that keeps away *my* potential dates?  Women seem to be
> avoiding me like the plague lately.  Go figure.
>
> >"I am not a monster! I am a man." - - -Elephant Man John Somebody i
think.  Menke?   Merke?  i can't recall.   Hundreds of you guys will know,
though.

> [...]
>
> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 10:46:13 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Jason Andrew Newby <Jason.A.Newby at wheaton_edu>
> Subject: Re: Wade Jaynes
>
> On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Chris Emery wrote:
>
> > Recalling the power of trains, Jason Andrew Newby
> > <Jason.A.Newby at wheaton_edu> said:
> >
> > >This is GREAT news!  Wade Jaynes is the most tastefully melodic bass
> > >player ever.
> >
> > That's a pretty odd thing to say.   Ever heard Tony Levin?  Chris
> > Squire?  Mike Georgin?  I bet I can name 10 better melodic bass
> > players.
>
> Sure I've heard of them.  They're all capital-B Bassists.  That's the
> charm of Wade Jaynes...he isn't so into his instrument that it would
stick
> out in the mix.  He's one of a very few bass players who concentrate
> solely on how the song would best be served.  His first few live shows
> will be rough, but in a few weeks he'll be a perfect fit, musically.
>

> > >He is nothing short of incredible and  Linford made a
> > >wonderful call in bringing him in, if only for a few shows.
> >
> > Feh.   I'm still *very* disappointed in Mike's departure.
>
> > >Most people know him for his work with Chagall Guevara or his studio
work
> > >for Steve Taylor and Phil Keaggy.  The Chagall tracks were genius.
> >
> > Jason A. Newby, you're starting to worry me.   If his playing with
> > Steve Taylor and Chagall Guevara (another Steve Taylor project) are
> > any indication, then he may prove adequate.
>
> Adequate?  He's far more than adequate.  He's a listener, which is
exactly
> what Linford's songs need.  Brian has always listened to the songs and
> been nothing short of perfect in giving the music what it needed.  Ric
> never listened, he was always too concerned with getting his licks in.  I
> don't mean to say Ric isn't a great guitarist, I think he is, but he was
> more concerned with how his parts sounded than how the song conveyed as a
> whole.
>
> Thanks for giving me the consideration to read and taking the time to
> respond.  I'm a self-assured fascist when it comes to musical opinions so
> it's fun to have them challenged by someone else who knows some good
names
> to drop.
>
> Andy
>
> > --NP: Big Head Todd And The Monsters - _Beautiful World_
> > ICQ #: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery
> >

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 09:56:12 -0600
> From: dawn.cozart at gx_novartis.com
> Subject: re: Lilith Baby
>
> Layner wrote
>
> >> Awww yeaaaah - just an FYI - they just added NATALIE MERCHANT
(!!!!!!!),
> as
> >> well as Paula Cole and Kristen Hersh to Denver's Lilith Fair line up.
> Can
> >> you say "all Lilith - all day" kids?
> >Awwwww yeah. I can live without Paula Cole, but Natalie AND Kristen
Hersh,
> >too? That's too cool. And you don't even have to do a road trip to get
> there,
> >Dawn...
>
> What a charmed life I lead! :-P
> 'Course since Cowboy Junkies will be here, I think OtR should tag along
> too!   But I'm still going back to Cinci for the August 8th Lilith!  If
> only there were an OtR show that weekend...
>
> >> With my lovely job and this lovely arctic weather (as well as my
> >> not-so-lovely-thinly-veiled-sarcasm!),  This news is pretty much the
> >> highlight of my week!  So I though Id share : - )
> >Yeah... what the heck is up with this weather? Is it snowing down there?
>
> Nope, but it's rainy and nasty and thirtysomething degrees outside.  I
> heard it's snowing down in Littleton though!  It's JUNE and the whole
> office is wearing turtlenecks, yikes!  I have some friend going the the
Big
> Head Todd show tonight at Red Rocks, they're going to freeze!
>
> >> Tix go on sale Saturday (Heather, think I should get there early?!?)
> >Aw, crap. Don't The Verve and Massive Attack go on sale tomorrow? It
> figures
> >that two of the three shows I'd like to go to this summer go on sale on
> >successive days...
>
> When it rains it pours (both figuratively and literally)!  I have a
feeling
> Lilith will sell out in a heartbeat.
>
> And to add some OtR content, I haven't gotten the Northern Spy either
FWIW.

> [...]
> in (at least) the percussive/rhythm side of OTR?
>
> </advocatus diaboli>
>
> >Ric never listened,
>
> I don't see how you can say that.
>
> >he was always too concerned with getting his licks in.  I
> >don't mean to say Ric isn't a great guitarist, I think he is, but he was
> >more concerned with how his parts sounded than how the song conveyed as
> >whole.
>
> All right...I'm going to have to call you on this one.   Where is he
> concerned with "getting his licks in"?   Is it 'Paul And Virginia'?
> 'Bothered'?   'I've Been Slipping'?   OTR up until 1995 (or so), was
> very much a team thing.  Lots of shared songwriting credits, lots of
> collaboration.  Watching them live, you could tell they enjoyed
> playing together, and feeding off each other's live vibe.   Would 'If
> I'm Drowning' have become the amazing show closer it did if Linford
> disapproved?   The one-by-one exit ending of IID made for a very
> exciting, and power change to the song.  Ric's guitar improvising was
> a large part of that.
>
> >Thanks for giving me the consideration to read and taking the time to
> >respond.  I'm a self-assured fascist when it comes to musical opinions
so
> >it's fun to have them challenged by someone else who knows some good
names
> >to drop.
>
> More than dropping names, son....gotta know what they mean.  ;-)
> Besides...ask anyone on the list.  There's nothing I like better than
> a good comparison debate.
>
> - --NP: Monk - _Quiver_
> ICQ #: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 11:49:32 -0500 (CDT)
> From: jeff wisniewski <toast at Mcs_Net>
> Subject: Re: Wade Jaynes
>
> > Linford's songs now?   Has it become Linford with special guests Over
> > The Rhine?
>
> Unfortunately, ever since '96 or so it seems....
>
> Jeff
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 16:55:37 GMT
> From: cemery at iwaynet_net (Chris Emery)
> Subject: Re: Wade Jaynes
>
> Recalling the power of trains, jeff wisniewski <toast at Mcs_Net> said:
> >> Linford's songs now?   Has it become Linford with special guests Over
> >> The Rhine?
> >
> >Unfortunately, ever since '96 or so it seems....
>
> Ouch.  Actually, you reminded me of a point I had meant to append to
> that post, but I think I'll let it go.    Save it for the next round,
> you know.  ;-)
>
> - --NP: Danny Gatton - _Cruisin' Deuces_
> ICQ #: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery

> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 13:23:39 -0500
> From: "Brad Caviness" <bigwig at arkansas_net>
> Subject: Wade Janes History ( ...I dreamt you cut off all your hair.)
>
> I meant to send this to the list last night. Instead, I sent it only to
Mr.