(OT) Sam Phillips new album

   On Friday I was extremely fortunate to be able to see Sam Phillips at a free concert at the Getty Museum in LA.  For all of you Sam Phillips fans out there, let me tell you, the new album (a boot and a shoe) may just be better than Fan Dance, and that's saying something!

It was of course packed (it was free, which helped too). "The Section Quartet" accompanied her, and also played some numbers themselves. Extremely good! She's from LA, though, and probably contributes to the museum, and somehow they got her there. She played mostly unlreleased songs from the upcoming album, although she did play 2 from Fan Dance and 2 from Omnipop, and one jazz standard.

She started off the concert with an astounding, a capella cover of Billie Holiday's Fooling Myself. I asked her afterward if it would be on the album, but unfortunately it will *not*. She said Billie's shoes were big ones to fill, which is of course true! , but she filled them perfectly Fri. night.

This new album is apparantly much in the same vein musically as
Fan Dance. Both from the review in the program, as well as the
examples from the concert. It was truly a wonderful concert from
start to finish!

And afterward I was able to talk briefly with her, and she truly
is extremely pleasant and open. She extended her hand, and proceded to introduce herself to me with a nice handshake! (Hello, my name is Sam!" After hearing her music and seeing her role in Die Hard with a Vengence, I expected someone much more introverted and shy.

Her 6 year old daughter was there, who apparantly takes tap
dancing classes as she was tapping away afterward in the lobby =) I assume T-Bone was there as well, but didn't personally see him.

I guess all I'm saying is the album is bound to be a doozy--an
immediate purchase for me! (as will Patty Griffin's, and Sarah
Harmers--which comes out in a few days!!)

Sam has several upcoming dates in LA (check out the yahoo group Omnipop for a complete list), and an upcoming concert in San Francisco in June I believe, which hopefully I can make it to as well. It is not yet listed in pollstar, though. I would urge you all within driving distance to make it, cause it's bound to be more than well worth it!  And since she has rarely performed in the past 8 or so years, it would be good to take advantage of it now!

Here's a review of the album from nonesuch's webpage:

In a recent concert review, The New York Times says, "If
understatement could peak, it would have when Sam Phillips
performed." That's an apt description for Phillips' new album, A
Boot and a Shoe, which is produced by T Bone Burnett and derives
much of its power from restraint and subtlety. The arrangements are
remarkably simple, consisting mostly of acoustic guitar, electric
bass, drums and Phillips' vocals. The ! playing and singing are hushed
throughout, although the reverberations of loosened drums and aging
guitars are audible at every turn.
The record's thirteen new songs unfold with the intimacy and organic
coherence of a live show. Musically dynamic but never cluttered, the
album includes occasional piano vamps and string arrangements by
Patrick Warren, electric bass by T Bone Burnett and drums by Jim
Keltner, Jay Belarose and Carla Azar (Autolux).
A Boot and a Shoe, is Phillips' eighth studio album and follows her
critically lauded Nonesuch Records debut, Fan Dance (2001), which
also was produced by Burnett. Fan Dance initiated a stylistic
departure that A Boot and a Shoe, builds upon: the records' spare,
spacious sound diverges from the lush production of Omnipop (1996)
and the Grammy-nominated Martinis and Bikinis (1994), which featured
Phillips' hit "I Need Love." In addition to her acclaimed albums,
Phillips has contributed music to a ! number of major films and
television shows, including the popular WB show "Gilmore Girls."

Although he has collaborated with Phillips on many of her albums,
Burnett's role in her most recent two recordings is particularly
vital, as he is well known for helping artists explore new ground.
Perhaps best known for producing the six million-selling O Brother,
Where Art Thou? soundtrack, Burnett has produced albums by The
Wallflowers, Gillian Welch, Roy Orbison, Elvis Costello, and others.

Sincerely
-danieljsummers

Do you Yahoo!?