Re: Dumb iTunes Question - in defense of Apple

Brad Caviness wrote:
Am I crazy, or didn't Bill Gates invest pretty heavily into Apple a year or so ago?

You're crazy, from what I know. Apple got a token investment from MS about seven years ago - they purchased $100 mil in non-voting shares of the company - but that has all been sold back, I believe. I may be wrong, but that's still a relatively small portion of a company that has $4.8B in the bank. I will grant you that they were in debt at the time, though.

iTunes for Windows, I guess, serves the same purpose as cds at best buy... sell the cheap stuff at a loss, but don't cut any breaks on the expensive stuff, i.e., the iPods. Silly me, I was thinking in terms of making a profit off iTunes itself by selling compatible files to the guy (or lady) who bought a Creative Nomad or an Odyssey 1000. Which wouldn't, of course, increase their market share, necessarily, but could turn a tidier profit for almost no overhead. And, since that's not the case, I'm inclined to believe either Apple likes their little club (making windows iPod users like allowing women and righteous foreigners in the outer court of Herod's Temple), or the mark-up on iPod is unbelievably high.

They make a good margin, but nobody seems to know what it is. With the first revision of the iPod, pourchasing the tiny 5-gig hard drive direct form Toshiba would cost an individual as much as the iPod containing it from Apple, so they must have been getting /some/ volume discount. Still, if it's worth it to build up an entire music delivery system for the contingent sales of a single device, then the margin must be pretty decent.

As for your earlier question about Apple being incompatible just to be incompatible, here's the reason: The only way to get on the music industry's good side was to offer files in some sort of format that could be protected/restricted to the person who purchases it. That leaves MP3 out - without modifying the file format in some way that makes it incompatible anyway, it's not possible to lock them down. So, they had to use a format other than MP3. The only stock format that is designed to be protected is Microsoft's WMA. I should hope that Apple's reason for avoiding that format are obvious, but if you should need a clue just look at the web browser market and what happened re: Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator. Their only choice was to make a new protected format, so it didn't matter *how* incompatible they were - compatiblity's like that, somethign either is or isn't. They chose to adapt AAC with a special "container" to protect it. The files you get are a standard MPEG4 / AAC file, with an extra bit of encryption to prevent one person sharing their purchased library with a million of their closest friends.

An interesting note: ripping your own CDs through iTunes cannot create "protected" files, unlike Windows Media Player. The songs you rip are pain-jane MP3 or MP4 files. I have known more than one person who left Windows Media Player set up as default while ripping CDs to WMA files, then re-installed Windows on their computer. They thought that backing up their WMA files would keep their library, but WMP would not allow them to play the files since the re-installed computer seemed like a /different/ computer as far as WMP was concerned.

-Smitty the know-it-all