RE: Dumb iTunes Question

i'm going to jump in over my head here-

----Original Message Follows----
From: Brad Caviness <bigwigenterprises@yahoo.com>

Which leads me to my eternal gripe with apple as a persistent PC user: Why is everything they produce so adamantly proprietary? iTunes is the most cross-platform application they've yet released, but even then you have to use their machine (an iPod, in this instance) or you're out of luck.

what's so proprietary about it? do you want Mac programs to run on PCs? (what Mac programs would you want for a PC, besides iTunes, which is available for PC?) I don't really understand, because it seems to me that Microsoft is the company trying to block out Mac, by cutting off the supply of Microsoft programs for Mac platforms. but Mac doesn't really mind so much, because the Mac programs seem to consistently run better. (i'm thinking in particular of Internet Explorer being no-longer available for Mac- but Mac's Safari program is pretty snazzy.)

i just KNOW this is going to spark computer-geek debate that's way over my head, so i'm actually asking questions, here; not just arguing back. i was a die-hard PC girl for years, though (and an art student PC girl, at that!), who converted to Mac about two years ago. and i loooove Mac, now. their stuff /works/, and i makes /sense/, and never drives me crazy, and it's so pretty!

I know, Mac users will argue that Apple is not proprietary, per se, it's just that they're closer to the edge of the technology curve, while PC's are lagging behind. But I have a hard time accepting any platform that makes you upgrade all of your software when the operating system goes up a notch. Windows may be backwards in a lot of ways, but at least it's backwards compatible.

well, i'm sure someone can answer this better than me, but i think when Mac moved from OS9 to OS10, they made such a change in programming that they're hardly related operating systems. am i right? wrong? bueller? what other listee likes Macs? and do the upgrades actually cost $$? i didn't think they did...

And people wonder why Apple has only been able to capture 3% of the computer market. iPod and iTunes gave them a huge surge (3 million files transacted and counting), and their marketing for the product is brilliant. But competition from other manufacturers as well as iTunes limited application to these units seems to me to be potentially restricting to Apple's earnings. Which could leave them back at 3% in the not to distant future. You know, after they're done making money hand over fist.

my only answer to that is every friend i've had who's owned a non-ipod mp3 player has wound up tossing it aside to gather dust, or in one case, just leaving it on a bus in australia on purpose. if "cutting edge of the technology curve" means things actually work, i don't blame apple for being a little possessive of it.

-melanie