http://www.dictionary.com/ is a good thing, people

Anita wrote:
>Whacking on the noggin is better accomplished with
>your baseball bat, not a gun.

Indeed, and my point exactly.  Hence no guns in my home.

>I'm still not convinced that a gun is a viable
>means of self-defense if killing is to be avoided.

It *IS* "viable"... not "optimal."

Not to be disrespectful, but I really hate playing
dictionary...

  viable /adj/: capable of success or continuing
      effectiveness; practicable.

Guns as self-defense are "viable."  I think you're
confusing the issue.  I'm not pro-gun.  I'm not
con-gun.  I'm pro-bat, pro-2nd Amendment.

Simple version of it all:
 * Guns are viable, but...
 * I feel they're unnecessary.

done,