Re: CD-Rs playing with distortion

At 01:01 PM 2003-12-07, Jason Neely wrote:

> Brands most often recommended: Mitsui, Kodak, Taiyo Yuden,

Essentially, the brands accepted in the trading world are JAPANESE manufactured blanks, not taiwanese.  Some companies, like Fuji, have their blanks made in both countries now.  Japanese blank media can be identified by a "frosted" inner ring, as opposed to a clear inner ring.

The best way to tell if its made in Japan is to look on the spindle/packaging for 'made in ____'
if there is not one, then you can probably assume its made in Taiwan or India or somewhere cheaper than Japan...you get what you pay for.  There are also many sites that attempt to keep track of where discs are manufactured according to brand, and also which brands work best with different models of CD-RW drives, its pretty subjective though, and a lot of opinions based on little scientific fact

There are a few different types of dye (4 or 5), and supposedly some much better durability than others,  only time will tell that.  The other important factor is physical durability, which you yourself can usually vary by how well you treat your cds, when youre not using a cd put it back in the jewel case or binder or sleeve, or however you store them, hopefully not in a stack or scattered across the floor ;-]

as far as cd players go, I havent had many problems with them not playing my discs, if my discs are scratched that bad no player is any better than another, but i imagine that the cheaper the player, the less quality it has.

Thanks
 AngryJ5