old & new

hey gang,

      i just found oTr in the listening station at my local
indie record store, and have fallen in love with the
double disc.  i got on the web site and found the
excerpts from previous albums section, and so far,
it all sounds totally different to me. (well, ok, piano
and beautiful voice the same, but different overall style,
 sound, arrangement, maybe....i don't know what word
i'm reaching for here).   am i nuts?  do i have really
crappy computer speaker?  do you feel this new album
has been a sort of departure in any way?   i was about
to declare them a new fave, but for now i'll settle for
declaring this album a new fave, for i just can't stop
listening to it, especially disc one.    thoughts or
comparisons?  what one other recording of theirs
would be the next thing closest to this release?
i'm still kind of itching to have more of them.
thanks!
                           mgn

p.s.  i loved that laura linney movie, too (yccom)
        how about "the hours" for across-the-board
        good acting....or "steel magnolias,"  or even
        "pulp fiction," which has great performances
        by people i don't even like in other films.
       i could think of a lot more, actually, but i'll stop.