All sorts of stuff

   Well, since I'm a digest reader, this response will
be sort of scatter-shot, but hopefully it will cover everything
on my mind right now.

   First of all, I really enjoyed reading the Christianity
Today interview with Karin and Linford.  I thought CT made it
pretty clear that they really appreciate and admire the album.
I respect their decision to withold the album from consideration
from any awards and I think that's fair as they must consider their
readers.  They are likely to receive more angry letters from readers
if they _do_ award the album than letters of praise.  That's just
the way it is.  I don't think it's any personal statement on behalf
of CT, I think it's them knowing their customers, and personally,
I don't think Ohio _should_ win any award like "Christian Album of
the Year."  It just doesn't sound right.  There are more appropriate
awards out there for Ohio to win.

   Secondly, while I think it is good for us to express our support
and well-wishes to Karin and Linford as they decide not to tour, I
think it is _very_ rude and irresponsible for us to speculate on the
reasons why they decided to not tour.  The band has issued a very
carefully written note to us about the reasons and if they were
at a point where they wanted to reveal more, they would.  On the
Internet, rumor becomes "truth" all too quickly, and I would hate to
hear one of my friends who is a casual fan of Over the Rhine telling
me "did you hear the news about OtR?" and feeding me some rumor I saw
here as "news" that they learned on the Internet.  It's not fair to
Karin or Linford to guess why they have decided to stop touring.  They
have decided at this point not to and that should be enough.

   ...and I would caution anyone from reading too much into Karin and
Linford's note.  This is not the first time that they have stopped touring
due to "family reasons."  Two years ago, they were forced to leave the
road to take care of Karin's ailing mother who suffered a stroke.  I'm
sure when they are ready to tour again, they will be on the road as soon
as possible, no doubt needing us as much as we need them.

   and that's all I have to say,

   Jeff

--
Over the Rhine History page