RE: interview

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Drew Johnson wrote:

> > I guess that which is acceptable in a film is not acceptable in music?
>
> Yes, Peter.  This is because, in lyric form, it is more naughty.

I think it may also have something to do with the idea that a film needs
to be "realistic", so we make allowances for people to do things "in
character" (e.g., we accept that soldiers in a war movie need to swear
these days if the film is to be even remotely convincing), but with music,
there is this weird assumption that everything the artist sings actually
reflects his or her own personal thoughts, and is not merely something the
artist sings "in character".  Terry Scott Taylor goes on and on about this
in the liner notes to _Avocado Faultline_; apparently he felt the need to
clarify that, e.g., he does not, in fact, pick up women at bars just
because the persona he adopts in 'Pretend I'm Elvis' happens to do so.

Having said all that, though, I acknowledge that the f-word used in this
OtR song might actually reflect Linford and/or Karin's thoughts, which
would move this discussion to a somewhat different level.

--- Peter T. Chattaway --------------------------- peter@chattaway.com ---
Nothing tells memories from ordinary moments; only afterwards do they
   claim remembrance, on account of their scars. -- Chris Marker, La Jetee