Funny funny OtR mini-article

One of the staff at Canal Street showed a clip from St Louis' "River Front
Times" weekly to Karin, and she requested that I pass it on to y'all.  It's
available from the website at

http://riverfronttimes.com/issues/2003-09-24/performance.html/1/index.html

or here:

Love, Rhine O'er Me
High-fidelity romance
By Brooke Foster

Humor us, sensitive guy, as we assume a thing or two about you. You're
looking for love (aren't you always?) but not with just any type of girl.
Blond-haired sorority darlings and self-impressed hipster chicks make you
queasy. What you want is someone artistic, spiritual. Someone who can
discuss postcolonial literature and mix a martini with equal facility. We
understand. We know this girl. She'll be at the Over the Rhine show, man,
and you'd be a damn fool not to go. No, we don't have a name or a number,
but Over the Rhine plays just the sort of intelligent, ethereal art-pop that
your Ideal Woman digs.

So can you just show up at Blueberry Hill's Duck Room (6504 Delmar
Boulevard, 314-727-0880, $12-$14) at 9 p.m. on Saturday night and expect
romantic magic to happen? No. You need to have the right lines. Here are a
few: "That was really gutsy of Over the Rhine to release a double album, and
on vinyl, too!" "This is a fantastic show, but I love traveling to see their
hometown shows in Cincinnati." "I really hope they play something off of
Films for Radio and 'Til We Have Faces, don't you?" Practice these lines in
the mirror. Say them smoothly. Even better, go to your local record store
and seek out Over the Rhine's back catalog so that you can name your
favorite songs, just in case she asks.

What's the worst that could happen? So it doesn't work out -- you're only
down twelve bucks and you've seen an extraordinary show by a band that
deserves much more critical attention than it gets. And if everything does
work out, we'd like an invitation to the wedding. -- Brooke Foster