UBER WEEKEND (READABLE VERSION)

Sorry for the rich text formatting for those of you who got all the garbage in
my original post.  I have killed Microsoft word, so that will never happen
again!

Original post follows for those who are so inclined to read on.  Sorry if I
missed something, or the formatting is a little off--trust me, the stress of
redoing it was horrendous.  I hope it was worth it.

I had the extreme good fortune of seeing the band perform three separate
times this weekend.  We had planned on kicking off the "fun-quest" with the
Ashville Show on Friday, but it didn't happen.  On the way down to Atlanta, we
counted up the number of Over the Rhine shows we've seen and discovered that if
we went on to Nashville on Sunday, I'd be legal?(a sort of coming of
age-Over-the-Rhine style).  Yep, 21 shows under the old belt for me, and 18
for my friend and traveling companion, Kyria.  And it was a nice surprise when
Karin announced my 20th from the stage at the Echo Lounge (btw if anyone has
a recording of that show, I'd  be interested in a copy). So without further
ado, here are the highlights:

Borders  10-17-2003 2 p.m. (no set list) An acoustic set with just Linford
and Karin.

A nice two level Borders with a cafe in the top floor corner flanked with
windows on both sides of the would-be stage.  The only thing flawed in the
design of this place is that the cappuccino machine is too close to the live
music. Karin even gave an "oh well" kind of smile when the ice grinding could
be heard over her sultry rendition of Summertime.  The set went like this:

---What I'll Remember Most:  Linford said they hadn't worked up a full band
version of this song yet, but damn, they sounded good acoustic style.

---Suitcase:  a lovely soft version close to what's on the CD.

---Fever:  They dusted this song off due to being in the south and the "100
degree temperatures." 70 probably feels like 100 if you're from the
north-eh? Linford accompanied Karin on his Lowden, and reminded her that she
was the percussion.  Turns out Will gave Karin a little wreath of bells that
she used to keep the beat with. It was a nice touch.

---My Love is a Fever:  This was a combination of the old and new versions
that we recently heard about a year ago-I think there was an MP3 of the month
that closely resembles this version.

---Seahorse:  They "slayed" the sound system (twice) during this song.
Linford said it was from their "high powered rock -n- roll." They were great
sports about the whole thing.  It was priceless to see Linford sneaking around
behind Karin while he simultaneously played guitar and slowly crouched down to
reset the amp that was in the floor behind her.  I only wish I'd gotten a
picture of him in his cat-like sneakiness.

---Summertime:  I finally got to hear this one live.  It's great to hear
Karin take a song like this and make it her own. "and your mama is so... good
looking."

---Show Me:  Rocked even as an acoustic duo.

The band gave away about five copies of the LP for those who could answer
trivia questions about the band.  They even gave away one for a wrong
answer-someone thought there had been 13 CDs instead of 10.  I got my copy
for knowing Willow's name, and Bill Ivester (HI BILL) got his copy for knowing
one of Paul's nicknames (Smoky-which I used to think was a reference to his
guitar playing, but now I believe it's more a reference to his cigarette
habit). Either way, it fits.  And yes, the performance was crowded.  There
seemed to be a few official people there (from Paste I think), and I did get to
Meet the aforementioned Bill from the list and Drew's message board.  After the
show, K and L signed any and everything for those so inclined.  They gave away
posters and signed our LPs.  It took about 20-30 minutes to sign everything.
I actually enjoyed Borders a little more than the actual full band show later
on. Echo Lounge Atlanta GA 10-17-2003  12:30 a.m. Excellent commentary already
posted by Chris, so I'll just list the set-list as snatched from the stage-my
comments in parentheses ().

After what seemed like an eternity of waiting through cover bands and
legitimate openers, OtR took the stage and the first word from the crowd was
"finally!" Karin retorted that she couldn't agree more.  I think the actual
set was shortened just a bit due to waiting so long to go on.  Here's the
set.

Bothered
Show Me
New Orleans
She
Nobody Numero Uno
Long Lost Bro
BPD
All I Need
World (can wait)
When I GO
Cruel (and Pretty)
Changes (come)
Latter Days (not on set-list)-A guy in the audience got into some good stage
banter with Karin and promised to wear leather chaps if they played this
song. If you wanted the full story, you should have been there!  :)

12th and Porter, Nashville TN 10-18-2003 10 p.m.

This show was similar in set-list to the Coney Island show of Aug 30, but not
as loud.  Before they went on, I heard someone guessing about how the band
might sound.  This guy was guessing that from the incense and the oriental
rugs and the people sitting on the floor up near the stage, that it would be a
mellow show.  I laughed under my breath at that. Anyway, here's the set-list
that I pulled from the stage.  It had "K-Dog" written on the top.  Yes, it's
been confirmed. I snagged Karin's set list-one of the hardest ones to get since
hers always go first.  I think it's Hunter Kelly's number eleven shoeprint
that's permanently embossed into the actual paper-complete with a little
Nashville sidewalk dirt and everything.  Karin started off the show with the
greeting "Hi everybody!" and a girl over in the far left yelled out "Will
Sayles" It turned out this was the night of friends and family.  Will, Paul and
Hunter all had friends etc. present.  Both Hunter's and Paul's parents were
there, and I saw Wade Jaynes and who knows how many other musicians were hiding
in the dark crowded bar.  Being Nashville, anything's possible.  One thing, it
was very crowded.  Out of all the shows I've seen this tour, this room was the
most packed.  Here's the set-list as I found it once again, my comments in ().

Spinning (with sitar)
Bothered
Long Lost Bro
Show Me
She

Nobody #1:  (Karin said this is how white girls rap in Ohio)

Suitcase: (dedicated to the parents in attendance)

Fling (with Ain't No Sunshine-dedicated to "Dave and Michelle" I have no
idea who they are, but they got a good song.  Filled with "I knows" and that
funky bass-line)

Ohio
All I need:  (it's so fun to watch an audience come alive when GDBD songs are
dusted off)

World (can wait-man has Paul made this song his own or what?  Gives me a
whole new appreciation for it.

When I Go

BPD: (Karin came back first, then Rick and Will, followed by Paul and
Linford-I love it-dedicated to Wade Jaynes-Karin said it was an unusual
dedication, but that he would understand-it seemed pretty heartfelt-in fact the
whole show had a sort of "homecoming" feel to it.
Cruel (and Pretty)

Changes (come) This is going to sound humorous, but you know the way Snoopy
dances in Peanuts with his head tilted all the way back and all you can see
is his chin and his ears flopping around?  That's just the way Paul looked
during this song.  I mean you could really tell he's into this song, and after
he started playing toward the end, he put his head all the way back and sort of
thrashed around the stage that way with is dreds flopping.  I couldn't get
the sound of Schroeder playing that toy piano out of my head the rest of the
night. This Nashville show was IMHO a tad bit better than the Atlanta show the
night before.  Which is interesting since Karin seemed waaay more relaxed in
Atlanta.

Chris has already mentioned watching Linford watching Karin, and I was going
to mention this first, but he beat me to it.  Damn my laziness!  I can't figure
out which is more fun, actually watching Karin, or watching Linford watch
Karin.  I'm going on memory, but it seems that Linford has really loosened up
on stage in the last year or so.  Sometimes he seems like he's doing so
little on the keys, but the sound he gets is phenomenal.  And then other times
he looks like he's wrenching the life out of that Hammond.  It's one of the
best
visual parts of the show.  He looks like someone with a fabulous secret that
he's just dying to tell, but instead he just milks every bit of sound he can
get out of that organ.

Mark

=====