Atlanta, 10/18/2003 (or The Longest Night Of The Year)--a bit lengthy

Echo Lounge is a surprisingly small venue in a funky neighborhood that I had
never set foot in before.  My friends Greg & Monica and I arrived with our
three OtR neophyte friends Julie, Britt, and Neal about an hour before the
doors were to open, and we spied the band walking up the street on their way
to dinner.  Neal and I went in about 7:25 to work merch, and we got a good
look at how small the stage was and that there was no seating whatsoever.
When Linford got back, he showed us the ropes and I asked him if they were
going to play "B.P.D.," and he replied "we are now."  Needless to say I was
excited.  Before the show, I got to meet Jason and Nick from Paste, and I
had some great conversations with those guys.  They're really cool, caring
people, and they're deserving of our support.  I also met Mark (DustyVolume)
and a guy from EMI whose name I can't remember who said he was really proud
of Over the Rhine.

Because of some music festival going on in this neighborhood, the venue was
double-booked, so we had to wait a long time for OtR.  Susan Enan went on
first; she was lovely on stage, and she was extremely friendly and fun to
talk to after her set.  Next up was the excruciating Nels Cline.  He played
some terrible, expermental instrumentals on his guitar, and for the most
part the crowd did not enjoy his set.  The looks on the faces of people
walking by the merch table on their way out of the venue were priceless.
Carla Bozulich was the next artist, and she had a small but vocal following
among the people there.  Her set, which consisted mostly of covers of Willie
Nelson songs, was OK.  Steven Delopolous played next; his guitar work was
phenomenal, but I don't think I like his voice--too much vibrato.

Finally, at 12:35 am, Over the Rhine went onstage.  Karin thanked the crowd
for waiting, and I sensed that she empathized with the crowd who had to wait
for hours to see them play.  The set went as follows:

--Bothered:  2003 version.  Very nice.  The more I hear this version, the
more I'm convinced it's my favorite.  This might have been the perfect way
to kick off the show.

--Show Me:  This song is much better live than on the record.  Paul sang
backup on this one.  Linford went to town on the Hammond; every time he
played the Hammond during the show, I think it added an amazing depth to the
sound.

--Jesus In New Orleans:  This is the first one that Karin picked up the
guitar for.  Paul's steel guitar was particularly nice.  After the song,
Linford talked about the release of a double album, and he made a comment
something to the effect of "Over the Rhine and Outkast are the only artists
with the balls to put out double albums this fall."

--She:  The crowd was particulary quiet and respectful for this one (really,
they were respectful to the band throughout the show at least where we
stood, but especially so on this song).  Beautiful.  I don't know if I can
say more.

--Nobody Number One:  This was fun!  I particularly enjoyed this song, and
the crowd seemed to as well.  Karin sang her heart out on the ad libs at the
end of the song, and Paul sang backup here, too.  After the song, Karin said
"and all God's people said," and we replied "AMEN!"  She then said "y'all
must have been to the Reverend Al Green's church before."  I expected an Al
Green reference somewhere during the show, and Karin didn't let me down!

--Long Lost Brother:  Karin sang this one well, too.  I watched Linford
watch Karin as she sang on this one, and I could tell by the look on his
face that here was a man who was deeply in love with (and in awe of) his
wife.  Karin walked over to the piano after this one, and I sort of expected
"Ohio," but instead--to my delight--I got...

--B.P.D.:  Wow!  I was like a little kid during this one.  It was my
favorite moment during the entire show.  The sight of Karin & Linford
sitting on the same bench playing piano and organ together was priceless.
Paul sang on this one, too.

--All I Need Is Everything:  I believe they've breathed new life into this
one with Paul playing guitar here.  It reminded me of a James Bond theme,
which of course was a good thing.  MGM should go after Karin & Linford for
the next Bond film.

--The World Can Wait:  Another cool moment.  Paul's guitar work gave this
song a somewhat different feel; his space-age effects at the end were
fascinating, if a little loud.  Karin introduced the band after this one,
and Rick had the crowd say hello on the voice mail of Hunter the guitar
tech, who was missing due to a wedding he was singing at.

--When I Go:  Wow again!  Karin sang her heart out here, and Paul played an
extended guitar solo that left my friend Britt, who is a prodigious
guitarist himself, in awe.

After probably less than a minute offstage, they returned with
--Cruel And Pretty, which was nice, even though it's not my favorite song.
After this one, someone shouted out "Latter Days," and Karin laughed about
the guy in leather with the tatts yelling for "Latter Days."  She then joked
about playing it if the guy would put on leather chaps.

--Changes Come:  Another nice moment, but again, not a favorite of mine.

--Latter Days:  A fitting way to end the show.

The show was over a little after 2 am.  Linford wore the red polka-dot shirt
that Ben mentioned, and Karin wore a brown sleeveless shirt and a brown
suede skirt that, she said, "reminds me that I'm a girl."  She looked
particularly lovely.  It was a long night, for sure, but it was absolutely
worth the wait.

Chris