Re: Linford and Karen's songwriting tips

What I've got is the notes I took at the Festival of Faith and music on
3-29-03 at Calvin College.  I labeled it as "twelve ideas we've thought
about" but I bet there's some overlap.  Perhaps someone can compare and
contrast and we'll have rough and final copies of the same list,
because I was under the impression they came up with this on the drive
to Calvin, and they read them off of a palm pilot.  I'm just
transcribing what I wrote down, which will include things that struck
me in their explinations.

1.  Surround yourself with warm, intelligent, funny people.
2.  Ask good questions in your songs without a big agenda - respect the
intelligence of the listener.
3.  Don't conciously dumb-down.
"if you're not embarrassed, you're not doing it right."
4.  We strive to make our lives works of art.
"your work may not be anymore profound than you are"
5.  Digging deep for provocative inspiration
6.  Carry a notebook, be a good eavesdropper.
"nursings homes are kind of like life with the burner turned up a little
hotter"
7.  True self-awareness vs navel gazing
8.  be "relaxed and groovy" in relationships
9.  self-doubt as a part of the process (ideas from _Bird by Bird_)
10.  Try to keep it new - re-invent ourselves
11.  Let go from time to time
12.  The journey invites us to pay attention and create our own
definition of success

I hope this helps...

Bethany

Quoting JOver8380@aol.com: