NYC Bottom Line 10-12-03

For anyone who may be morally, philosophically, sentimentally or habitually
opposed to forums, here are the set lists from the two shows at the Bottom
Line last night:

7:30
Spinning
Bothered
Show Me
She
Nobody Number One
Suitcase
Long Lost Brother
Professional Daydreamer (YES!)
All I Need Is Everything
The World Can Wait
(encore)
Cruel and Pretty
When I Go

10:30
Spinning
Bothered
Long Lost Brother
Show Me
She
Nobody Number One
Lifelong Fling / Ain't No Sunshine
Ohio
Suitcase
All I Need Is Everything
The World Can Wait
(encore)
Changes Come

I thought both sets were really outstanding (although "Smokey" Moak DID
occasionally get a little carried away with his gear), even though the late
show was very sparsely attended and K&L seemed a little disappointed when
they first walked out.  It was nice to drive 90 minutes instead of 12 hours
to see them play.  Susan Enam and Steve Denopoulos opened.  I brought my
19-year old son to the shows (his first OtR concert) and introduced him to
Linford, and the evening was a true bonding experience.  He was very
impressed with the band, and is going to try to bring a couple of his
college buddies to the show in Cambridge tomorrow night after returning to
school in Boston.

Unfortunately I left my camera at a family party in my haste to get into the
city in time for the early show.  Karin looked very fetching in a navy blue
t-shirt, bright red bell-bottomed hiphuggers with a wide black belt,  black
shoes with low heels and the usual amulet.  She seemed relaxed and in very
good spirits and sang her heart out the entire evening.  The band gleefully
revealed during the somewhat giddy late show that she was once a prom queen.

Linford did an amazing turn on organ for When I Go, sounding remarkably like
Garth Hudson of The Band.  Rick Plant explained to us between sets that the
arrangement was necessitated by the fact the piano used for the version I
heard in Lexington and Cincinnati wouldn't fit on the small stage.  Also
missing were Paul's vibes, instead he did a cool echo-ey thing on pedal
steel for the duet with Linford at the end of Lifelong Fling, which segued
into a very rhythmic Ain't No Sunshine.  I was surprised and thrilled to
hear Professional Daydreamer (which starts with Karin accompanying herself
on piano and builds wonderfully from there), one of my favorites on Ohio.
All I Need Is Everything totally rocked in both sets.

I wish I were in Northampton...

Keith from NY