OHIO is great for concerts (triple show review)

Not every week do you get to see 3 of your Top 5
Artists.  This was one of those weeks for me...
Tori Amos, Radiohead, and Over the Rhine.

Add Chroma Key, a Nuno Bettencourt band, and a
Mike Patton band, and I'd have been in a quite
concertous heaven.

Here's a triple review of OHIO shows this past
week...

I. Tori Amos
II. Radiohead
III. Over the Rhine (bookstore show)

I. TORI AMOS & Marc Broussard
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PromoWest Pavilion, Columbus, OH (just barely
   outside of downtown)
Wednesday, August 20th

 HIGHLIGHTS: The opener was good.  Strong voice.
Tori was great... there were some technical
problems partway through the set, but she handled
it well.  Her dress ripped, too... the resulting
song that came out of that one was great. :)
 Song highlights were: Sweet Dreams (a Winter
b-side), Mr Zebra, Caught a Lite Sneeze, Mary
(another b-side), I Can't See New York, Hey
Jupiter, Bliss, A Sorta Fairytale, China, Liquid
Diamonds, Girl, Precious Things, Space Dog, and
Cornflake Girl... a lot of great tunes.  Plus
a birthday number was fun, too... apparently
this was her last show before turning 40.  She
seems to be cool with that. :)
 Hanging out in Columbus' Short North was great
the next day, too.  Magnolia Thunderpussy
(awesome music selection), Monkeys Retreat (cool
Simpsons collector stuff), and coffee for me;
jewelry and art shops for Margarita... lots of
glass in the Cow Town.  Seemed like the shops
fancied it.  We some some excellent Chihuly
pieces... my credit card wouldn't handle
purchasing them ($32k to start).  Oh, maybe
next time.

 BUMMER: Ben Folds not being there was the biggest
bummer.  This was one of the two shows that he
wasn't going to co-headline.  I didn't find that
out until *after* I bought my tickets and booked
the hotel.  Another bummer... she seemed to play
too much from To Venus and Back (4-5 songs, ugh).
Oh well, she played enough other material to make
up for it... :)

 OVERALL: Great show... my 8th time seeing Tori,
and the setlist was been vastly different every
time.  That's what I love about her touring...
from day-to-day, it's a different show.

II. RADIOHEAD & Steve Malkmus and the Jicks
Blossom Music Center, Cuyahoga Falls, OH (just
   outside of Akron)
Thursday, August 21st

 HIGHLIGHTS: There There (with Ed on mini-drums and
Jonny on mini-drums, keys, and guitar), Paranoid
Android, Exit Music (For a Film), Lucky, Idioteque,
Morning Bell, 2+2=5, Punchup at a Wedding, Wolf at
the Door.  They seemed to stick with the newer stuff,
which is fine.  But it seemed when they played any
older stuff (Paranoid or Exit Music), that they were
phenomenally tighter, and/or those songs lent
themselves better to the live show.  The Kid A stuff
didn't seem to lend itself as well (it did last time
- 2 years ago).  My favorite played was probably
Paranoid Android.  We moved up to the right side of
the lawn, away from the crowd, after about 5 songs.
We could see and hear (and breathe) way better.  A
nice breeze cooling us off, comfy grass to sit on, a
beauty on my arm, and a great band flaoting through
the air... 'twas a good time.
 Oh, and finally finding the only Indian restaurant
in the Akron/Cuyahoga phone book was a blessing.
Different korma than our usual haunts (yummy as
hell), and Strawberry Lassi (yum).

 BUMMER: No My Iron Lung, Fake Plastic Trees, or
Street Spirit (unless they had a 2nd encore that we
missed)... also, the song "Kid A" was icky in the
live performance (with a side of ICK sauce).  Steve
Malkmus & the Jicks were quite boring and lame.
There were 2 or 3 Jicks' songs near the middle-end
that were *decent*.  That's about it.  Oh, another
bummer... Blossom's parking is, like, miles and
miles and miles from the venue.  A 30 minute walk
post-show is a drain.
 Oh, plus when we tried to check-in to our B&B at
3pm *no one* was there.  We walked in, and *no one*.
We eventually found a room with an A/C and napped
until 5:30 until the proprietor finally showed up.
It was surreal, at best.  Quite disorganized B&B,
but a KILLER house (O'Neill House in Akron) and a
killer breakfast... yum.

 OVERALL: Great lights, Thom's a spaz, Jonny hates
his guitar, Radiohead put on a great show again.

III. OVER THE RHINE and tons of books
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joseph-Beth Booksellers, Cincinnati, OH (just
   outside of Kentucky)
Saturday, August 23rd

 HIGHLIGHTS: Hometown (Norwood) Boy, Suitcase,
Anything At All, Show Me, Fever, Ohio, trivia break
(Drew Vogel, aka D.V., won a framed poster), The
Seahorse, and Summertime.  They also had What I'll
Remember Most, Changes Come, and Bothered on the
setlist, but didn't play them.  Suitcase was great.
Show Me was better than what I'd heard prior, and
Fever was stunningly sexy (as usual).

 BUMMER: I didn't have my OHIO CDs from Paste yet.
I didn't even have them by the time I got home late
Saturday night.
 I had K&L sign my Paste Order Confirmation email
instead.  I crack myself up sometimes.

 OVERALL: Great set, sound was a bit off, but it
was a really fun time.  Song highlights were... all
of 'em.  It was good to see them in a nice intimate
bookstore venue.

My wife (Margarita) somehow puts up with all of the
driving to concerts... yay, I picked a winner!  :)

Ohio traveller,
Dan

written in parts throughout the day, so...
 pp: bela fleck & the flecktones - ten from little
        worlds
 pp: living sacrifice - reborn
 pp: madonna - ray of light
 pp: the magnolia soundtrack