Disc 1 vs. Disc 2, and sadness...

First, I'm glad that Debbie mentioned how sad this music is.  I know there are
some happy tunes on this release, but even the up tempo songs still hit far far
away from raising the mood of the work above "sad".

I love Over the Rhine.  I love almost everything about the band.  I also think,
however that the overall somberness of this release will limit how much I
listen to it.  Don't get me wrong, this *is* just "initial reaction" talking,
but I'm going through a time in my life right now where I'm trying to stop
watching movies from the drama section, and I'm trying to stop creating back
drops of sad, slow, music.

After saying all that, I can honestly say that I LOVE this music.  I just
*can't* listen to it all the time.  But I want to.  I find myself listening to
Ohio repeatedly.  It's been in the car player non-stop since I got it.  I made
copies already for the bathroom player, for the bedroom on the computer, and
for the living room "big" system stereo.  I have this work at all four corners
of my existence (does the unconscious count as the fifth?).  I had to stop
myself from burning a copy to minidisc this morning to take to school and
listen to as I walk to and fro on this large campus.  So, what's the point of
saying all this?  I have no idea.  All I know is that this music leaves me with
a melancholy longing for something that I may not even be conscious of needing.

Most people reading this will understand what I mean when I say I can't find
words to describe the emotions that Over the Rhine evokes in me.  I just keep
getting a visual in my head of large plates deep beneath the earth moving and
colliding together creating earthquakes on the surface.  Mood upheavals.

I'm working on a song by song review of the release.  I may not be able to
finish it.  But I want to.

Anyway, to pull myself back up again.  I think I like disc one better, but I
find myself listening to disc two more.  The first one has too many songs on it
that I knew already.  I think Long Lost Brother is my favourite so far.  It is
by far the saddest to me.  And how telling that the saddest would become my
favourite.

Still no confirmation,
Still no package,
Paste, Paste, Paste