Paste, Amazon, buy now and wait...

Title: Paste, Amazon, buy now and wait...

I empathize with those who have not received their OHIO cds from paste.  I haven't either (though I did get the confirm e-mail).  Knowing I wasn't going to get it the first day, I went to Borders at 9:00 AM yesterday and picked up a copy.  They had 5 in their "featured new music" section right in the middle of the floor.  It's clear from everyone else's experiences purchasing it retail that Virgin/Backporch has clearly done their job and promoted OtR.

I'd like to comment on purchasing one retail versus preordering it.  Its one thing to have OtR's music and to covet it for ourselves.  Certainly the preorder goodies show that K&L really appreciate their loyal fans.  I think part of being a loyal fan is doing a little promotion and proselytizing ourselves.  I don't care if I purchase 2 copies of OHIO.  I did the same thing for the FfR because I don't play the autographed copy of any CD (its special that way).  Once I burn the tracks to my PCs (for personal listening not file swapping) and make a few new "mix" CDs for car travel (because I never take an original CD in the car due to theft or possibility of damage) the original sits nicely on my shelf.

So what do I do with the second copy?
Rather than making it a giveaway I make it a "loaner."  Like my second FfR, I will loan the second copy of OHIO to people to get them hooked on OtR.  Once they've told me they really like it, I ask for the CD back and suggest they go purchase it themselves (and any other OtR CDs they may want).  Then I turn around and loan the CD to someone else.  I see this as direct promotion to increase sales.  I don't want to giveaway a CD and make one convert...I want to loan the CD and try and make 10.

The downside is that people borrow CDs, copy them and never support the artist.  I do my best to let people who borrow my OtR CDs know very clearly that doing copying the CD is unacceptable.  If I can't trust them to follow that policy....then I don't loan them the CD (I direct them to places like Paste to hear samples).

As for my first time through listening....I must confess I've not devoted my whole attention to giving it a thorough listening to.  Real life here doesn't allow me the pleasure of escaping to OHIO right now.  Still, its playing in the background and so far so good.

Sláinte,
David

NP - OtR, OHIO

David Dean