OtR at Cornerston NC Review

    Oh, I went to see Over the Rhine play a couple of nights
ago.  I guess I ought to write something up about it.  Karin
and Linford played at Cornerstone North Carolina, which is
essentially a smaller version of Cornerstone Festival.  The
bands there were mostly the bands the teens dig, but they
managed to draw out a couple of Cornerstone staples, such
as Over the Rhine, Bill Malonee, and Glenn Kaiser.

   Lots and lots of rain during the week.  Unlike Cornerstone
in Illinois, however, it never got obsenely muddy.  I guess
there's a lot more grass on this farm.

    This show was at the "coffeehouse stage".  Sort a
smaller equivalent to the Gallery stage at Bushnell.  Karin and
Linford took the stage after Bill and I believe, Ester Drang.
Linford had his keyboard (Yamaha, I believe) and an accoustic
guitar.  Karin brought her accoustic guitar.  They looked
about like what you'd expect them to look like.  Here I must
comment that I noticed for the first time that Karin bears a
striking resemblance to actress Renee Zelwiger.  Am I off
base here, or does anyone else see it?

    Anyhow, the show:

   Cast Me Away
   Bothered
   The Seahorse->Summertime
   My Love Is A Fever
   Fever
   Show Me
   Poughkeepsie
   Orphan Girl
   All I Need Is Everything
--
   When I Go

Cast Me Away
Bothered
    Both played with only Linford on keyboard for accompaniment.

Seahorse->Summertime
    Both Karin and Linford on guitar.  Nice to hear the
sweltering, steamy "Summertime" coda again.  Karin says she likes
to sing this in the summer, but sometimes sings it during the
winter just to spite the winter.

My Love Is A Fever
   Linford alone on guitar.  Karin says that Linford came up for
this arrangement while watching "The Mickey Mouse Club" late
one night.

Fever
   Linford on guitar and Karin playing some shaky thing-y.

Show Me
   Both on guitar.  This was the only _Ohio_ song we got
tonight.  Linford sings background vocals.  I never would've
pictured Karin and Linford harmonizing together, but strangely,
it works.  This song sounds awesome.

Poughkeepsie
   By request.  Of course.  Linford is back on the piano and
Karin is playing guitar.

Orphan Girl
    A bug landed on the microphone and Karin looked at it
cross-eyed through part of the song.  She said she was afraid
that it would head straight into her mouth, but that it wouldn't
be the first time she'd swallowed a bug while singing.

All I Need With Everything
    Both on guitar.  Also with Linford singing background vocals.

When  I Go
   Linford on piano      The crowd had been very quiet,
"mysterious", in Karin's words, but was loud enough when
they left that they returned for an encore.  Very few bands
at this festival got an encore.  I thought that was indicative of
how much the crowd enjoyed the show.

   They didn't hang around long like they usually down at
Bushnell's Cornerstone.  In fact, after the show, they promptly
packed up and left.  At least, that's what I think.  I didn't stick
around long after the show, either.  Karin was quite chatty, but
Linford didn't say a word the entire show.  I think they decided
to play a "Greatest Hits" set because they felt the audience
wasn't familiar with them, and decided to save the songs from
_Ohio_ for when they return to North Carolina on their tour
for the album.

    Jeff

----
"There are no ordinary people.  You have never talked to a
mere mortal ... it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry,
snub, and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendors."
CS Lewis - The Weight of Glory

jholland444 at hotmail_com    http://JeffreyHolland.tripod.com