Re: in a quandry

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 7:07 am, John Davis wrote:
> Well said, Don, as always.
>
> Wes, when you bring up "natural law", you're asking for a philosophical
> discussion. The term means something very specific - it's a term that
> refers to moral absolutes that everyone is beholden to because the law is
> "natural" - i.e., knowledge of it is with you when you're born.

Well, then I'll stop using the term, my fault, sorry. How does "obvious
action" strike you?

> Regardless, all the arguments you're making don't wash. Basically you're
> arguing that because copying digitial music is easy, this makes it moral.

No, again, I'm not arguing that. What I am arguing should really be split into
three different statements to avoid this recurring confusion I'm creating.

Aspect the first: Despite the fact that it is illegal to copy CD's, tons of
people do it anyway. These people are not morally depraved low-lifes who
would just as soon steal gas or groceries. So, we need to ask ourselves, why
is copying music any different? If it *is* stealing, then why do these people
engage in the act? I would argue that it is because it is different from what
they know of stealing in one crucial area:
According to their perception of the situation, No one has lost anything, they
paid for the music, and now someone else has gained something. This act of
sharing, to them, is a good thing (and rightly so). However, they are either
ignorant of the fact that the artist has lost something (assuming the person
receiving the copy would have bought one if they had not received a copy for
free, which is a highly erroneous assumption, but it makes my argument more
difficult, so I hope you will allow it) or they simply do not care. The
latter is certainly immoral. However, sharing music comes as naturally to
people as sharing food or sharing anything else that they have purchased or
earned in some fashion. Yes, they are ignorant of the fact (or don't care;
immorally) that they have not really purchased the music, but only a license
to listen to that music in certain ways and at certain times with certain
equipment. But that license is part of the law, and laws can be changed or
not taken advantage of (in this case I mean the artist chooses not to utilize
the traditional laws in favor of an alternative model). Why should we change
the law or set up alternatives to the law (for the benefactors of the law,
where the law does not require them to abide by its model) besides the fact
that sharing is an obvious act? I'll leave that to the next section:

Aspect the second: Sharing music is, in and of itself, a moral good. Apart
from any laws or compensation systems, sharing is preferred over not sharing
from a moral standpoint (for many reasons I've already gone into and are
fairly obvious any way).

Aspect the third: It is possible, in theory, to set up a system under which
the moral good and obvious action of sharing music is respected and allowed
*and* compensates the artist for their work. This removes the immoral aspect
of the obvious action while allowing the obvious action (which is good since
it will occur anyway), and it has the fringe benefit of allowing the moral
good of sharing. Since this is possible in theory, why not try it? This is
all I'm saying.

Again, I'm *not* arguing for people to copy music that the artist has asked
them not to copy. I myself don't do it, and I don't think others should do
it. I am also not arguing that *anything* which is an "obvious act" should
not be outlawed or considered immoral. I do *not* think that murder should be
legal because it happens even though it's against the law, or anything else
that fits this analogy. What I *am* arguing is that when something is an
inherent moral good (such as sharing) *and* it is something that is going to
happen anyway, then we should re-examine the purpose of the law that makes it
illegal. In this case, the purpose is to ensure that the artist gets
compensated for their work, and that's a noble purpose. However, because the
thing being outlawed is both an obvious action and a moral good, should we
not then try to see if it is possible to retain the noble purpose of the law
and allow the moral good/obvious action? The answer seems obvious to me.

<snip />

- --
"We need to consider the reality of what God wants and how broken the world
is, and the gap between them, and let a healthy discontent take over our
souls so that we say, by God's grace and power, I will not quit because it
matters. It matters." - Roberta Hestenes
Libretech.org - Technology Is Free (http://www.libretech.org)