Re: In a quandry

Aaron Edwards <edwardsaaron2000 at yahoo_com> writes:
>It's frustrating how many labels are members of the RIAA. They keep a
>list at
>http://www.riaa.org/About-Members-1.cfm, and there are some surprising
>ones
>on there (Righteous Babe, for example). Hang in there, Aaron. The ends
>justify the means! :)

Righteous Babe is a member of the RIAA? My opinion of Ani just dropped a
notch.

My concern with this and any other new CD I buy is that I don't want the
disc to be copy-protected. I play all my music through iTunes and my iPod,
and I *have* some old CD players lying around somewhere, but I don't use
them. If the CD's copy-protected, I take it back to the store as a
defective product. And usually, "defective" is exactly what it is: one of
the most effective copy-protection schemes is for manufacturers to avoid
including information on the CD that helps it keep from skipping. Most new
CD players can play such CDs, but computers can't. Still, it means they're
putting out CDs that don't measure up to Red Book standards.

The negative effect of the RIAA's decision to treat all customers as
criminals is that the ones who are already "sharing" mp3s don't give a
damn if they're considered criminals, but all the legitimate customers
still buying music will eventually get fed up and quit buying music.

- John

John Paul Davis
Center for Community Learning
Antioch College
http://www.antioch-college.edu/ccl

Ned Flanders: Let's just agree to disagree
Principal Skinner: I don't agree to that
Mrs. Krabapple: Me neither