Re: speaking of swearing - Jesus Swore

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Tim White wrote:
> Ah Peter - Jesus could have spoken some Greek, but most likely he spoke
> Aramaic and Hebrew.  Speaking of how important words (the word) are/is,
> can you accept that Jesus might have been illiterate?

Possibly, sure, though I don't have an opinion on that particular issue.

> Since he was raised in a poor home, chances would be that he wouldn't be
> taught how to read, since only about 15-20% of the Jews were taught how
> (and most of them were Scribes, Pharisees, etc).

And these figures come from ... ?

> It's like when Tony Campolo says . . .

Just for the record, I am sooooo tired of hearing this Tony Campolo quote.
For one thing, it ain't exclusively Tony's -- I believe Steve Camp and
others have said it too.  For another, it feels to me like a pretty cheap
point to make; certainly I don't think it helps that people always cite
this quote *not* because they primarily want to say how concerned we all
should be about people starving or going to hell or whatever but, rather,
because they want to say that we can use whatever damn words we like.

> Is it any wonder that the religious leaders wanted to kill Jesus?  The
> guy broke all the 'religious' standards . . .

No, not all of them.  He made a point of paying the temple tax, etc.

> . . . had a terrific sense of humor . . .

What has *this* got to do with "religious standards"?

Nothing tells memories from ordinary moments; only afterwards do they
   claim remembrance, on account of their scars. -- Chris Marker, La Jetee