redux redux review

> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:36:53 -0500
> From: John Paul Davis <johnd at antioch-college_edu>
> Subject: Re: good dog bad dog review redux
>
> Hello Angela. Welcome to the list! Thanks for responding
>  to this
> maelstrom...

You're welcome.  Actually I've been here for a very long
time, just don't read the list very often.

> > started writing for it because I saw quotes by Anne
> > Lammott, G.K. Chesterton, Thomas Merton and Bono on the
> > home page.  I like all those people, so I felt
> comfortable
> > having my writing associated with someone who liked
> them
> > too.
>
> Hey- I like all those people too! I have actually had
> that some
> experience - of going to a site that featured a bunch of
> Christians I
> admired, only to find that the site was very evangelical,
> so much so
> that I was turned off, but I never really thought about
> how that's what
> I was doing. That's actually how I stumbled on to
> Relevant and the Ooze
> and Re:Generation Quarterly, etc.

I decided Relevant wasn't really my cup of tea because it
didn't seem to be coming from quite the same place I was,
or could relate to my experience...actually, no.  I decided
it wasn't my cup of tea because it didn't publish me, and
Thunderstruck did.  Simple self-interest. ;)

> > "BAPM"--rhys has it right, it was a silly sidenote.  I
> did
> > not mean to imply "This song uses Biblical imagery,
> > therefore it is okay for you to listen to it."  In fact
> > was implying nothing at all.
>
> So, may I ask what you did mean by including it?

When subtle Biblical imagery is employed--not
bang-you-over-the-head stuff--it indicates to me that a)
the lyricist probably had a youth steeped in reading the
Bible or having the Bible read to him (because then the
imagery and the phrasing just becomes part of your
language, you start employing it without conscious effort)
and/or b) the lyricist appreciates the Bible on the level
of it being great literature.  I was laying in bed mulling
over composing the article when the acronym BAPM came to
me.  It made me giggle, so I decided to use it.  It was
also an excuse to stick in a gratuitous U2 reference.
 There's an inside joke in it--you'll see in my bio at the
end of the article that I write for www.atu2.com.  If you
were to poke around that site you'd find I started a list
there of biblical references in U2 songs, so the acronym
BAPM is a flag: finding Biblical imagery in lyrics is
something of a hobby of mine.
Angela
apancella at hotmail_com