Re: Good Dog Bad Dog classic album

>>i meant by using the word 'literate' it implies or infers that there is
>>more to the language than meets the eye.
>
>Ah. I see. I knew what she meant - she meant "literary" - I was being
>purposefully obtuse.

Sheesh... I just didn't like the review.

I'd also read this part of the following article.

Where did this song come from? (latter days)

It’s become an important song for me. It was written in my bedroom, I was
just scratching some things down. When it's happening, you never know at the
time that something is going to be that essential to your work. It’s just
very informal. And that’s just one of the purest things I’ve ever written.

I was questioning another one of those periods where I felt like I was done
with music, that I didn’t have what it took. So the whole bit about "dancing
without me" is to other musicians… "You go on ahead and do it. I’ll get
there eventually and I’ll be okay." The lines about, "I just don’t have much
left to say"… that's very literal. "I’m supposed to be writing these songs,
but I’ve been dashed on the rocks and I’ve got nothing left."

It wasn’t too long after Karin’s dad died that I wrote the song. He was
really quite known for being a good dancer… he was a Presence. Those two
images planted the seeds.

To me, there’s something about that sadness that is ultimately joyful. Some
people wouldn’t see it that way. In one of the new songs that I want to
record, the first line is  "The saddest lines are the happiest, the hardest
truths are the easiest." Karen Peris of The Innocence Mission has this sweet
sadness that she carries. Other people have remarked on it. She carried this
intense sadness that was so beautiful, and yet when she expresses that and
you hear it coming out, it causes me so much joy even though it’s so sad. I
guess that mystery, that sweet sadness, is something that fires my
imagination.

You try to tell a story on a record. "Latter Days" is the first song on
"Good Dog Bad Dog", but by the second song ["All I Need is Everything"] this
person is already starting to realize that this place of brokenness is one
of immense strength and renewal. Now that I realize that I’m completely
shattered, I’m at a place where good things can happen.

http://www.promontoryartists.org/crossing/linford.htm

kylie