Re: Narnia books/secular

> To re-market these books as something "new and secular" would be
> ridiculous - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I find that the "sacred/secular" division is a false one anyway. The
Narnia story is sacred on it's won, apart from the conections (or lack
thereof) to Christian imagery. They're sacred like all well-made art is
sacred - and especially like all good stories and songs are sacred. Good
stories, songs, poetry, all good art is always the story of humans
trying to understand themselves, the world around them and therefore, by
extension, God. The Narnia stories *seem* more "sacred" because they
deal with subject matter we tend to categorize as "sacred", i.e.
"supernatural" stuff - magic and the like - but if you take Lewis's
view, magic is *more* natural than, say, technology. The connections
people are so willing to see between the Narnia stories or LoTR are
valid in the same way that connections between Islam and Christianity or
Judaism and Christianity are - they're all different ways of handling
similar subject matter.
The Narnia stories are as legitimate a way of understanding God as the
Christian story, IMHO.

- John

np: Water No Get Enemy: Femi Kuti
--