Butterflies

From: Don Smith <dasmith at rotse2_physics.lsa.umich.edu>

The butterfly metaphor is supposed to demonstrate what's
> called "sensitive dependence on initial conditions" which is one of the
> hallmarks of a chaotic system.

Well goodness, I certainly didn't see that one coming...wow.  As I read,
though, it pretty much confirmed that the butterfly metaphor *was*
appropriate for the idea I was trying to express.

And did you know that in quantum mechanical
> systems, you can't even *look* without influencing the state of the system
> you're trying to observe?

Oh man!  That's *exactly* what I was trying to say, that the smallest of
things...even a thought!...can influence the way something evolves.
Granted, the degree of chaos already existing on a given path can also
influence how things change...no argument there...I was just trying to
encourage input while reminding myself that being in the game is worth the
occasional bruising that comes from contact.

I do think physics is fascinating--thank you for the input and for welcoming
me!  : )
                    ______________________________________

"Take it easy, all he did was kick up some dirt."

Embedded in the mud, glistening green and gold and black, was a
butterfly, very beautiful and very dead.

It fell to the floor, an exquisite thing, a small thing that could upset
balances and knock down a line of small dominoes and then big dominoes
and then gigantic dominoes, all down the years across Time.

Yes, that's it!  Yay!  Thank you for passing the story along!

Fluttering my wings,
Gina