Re: the book was...

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Don Smith wrote:
> And if they give it a happy, "hollywood", ending, I am going to
> personally track down Peter Jackson and make him buy back my DVDs.

Don't know *quite* what you mean by "happy", but I recently read an
interview with Elijah Wood in which he says the next film *will* capture
the idea that even thogh there is victory, everybody loses something.

> Try an experiment: rent the Ralph Bakshi 1978 animated version of LotR
> and see if it changes the way you think about Jackson's choices.

Heh.  I just watched that a week ago or so, for the first time in ages.
I think the way Jackson doesn't bother to stick to the exact chronology is
wise, on his part -- the scene in the cartoon where we suddenly
flash-forward through 17 years' worth of seasonal change is pretty weird.

I was also struck by how the cartoon did one of the things that bothered
me about Jackson's first film -- it cross-cuts between Frodo and Gandalf
up to the point where Gandalf is imprisoned by Saruman, but then we don't
see Gandalf again until Rivendell, and then we see Gandalf's escape in a
*flashback*.  I thought that was awkward the first time I saw Jackson's
film, but I've gotten used to it, and it seems to work in Bakshi's film,
too -- is this the way *Tolkien* structured it?  I don't think so ...

> I'm very, very curious about this new film coming out called
> _Adaptation_.

Seen it twice.  I think I love it.  But I have grave issues with what
seems to me to be one of its recurring themes.

 If true love never did exist how could we know its name? -- Sam Phillips
          Happiness happens but I want joy. -- Marjorie Cardwell