Re: Gollum rocks.

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Paul Soupiset wrote:

> > Peter Jackson's team put in put to _shame_ anything that George Lucas
> > has done in the past five years.  Yes, George, you can have both
> > little happy flourishes, CGI characters, and meaningful acting and
> > dialogue _all at the same time_.
>
> Hmmmm. The comparisons are interesting to make:
> Sauron vs Emperor
> Saruman vs Darth Vader
> Gandalf vs ObiWan
> Marry & Pippin & Sam vs C3PO & R2
> Frodo & Aragorn vs Luke & Solo
> Arwen & Leia
>
> I'm sure this has been done before...

Heh.  I wish I didn't keep thinking of Luke screaming "No!" at the death
of Obi-Wan every time Frodo screams "No!" at the fall of Gandalf.  But
there's only so many ways to shoot such a scene, I guess, and of course,
Tolkien wrote the death of Gandalf *decades* before Lucas decided,
half-way through filming _Star Wars_, to kill Obi-Wan.

*** possible special-effect spoiler ***

BTW, some friends of mine object to the new film's Eye of Sauron -- they
say it looks too much like a _Star Wars_ "power couplings".  :)

 If true love never did exist how could we know its name? -- Sam Phillips
          Happiness happens but I want joy. -- Marjorie Cardwell