OtR Philly review (or: Ysobelle is a sneaky bastard)

I've been living in the Philly area for almost 5 years now, and I don't know
what kind of hole I've had my head in (no conjectures, please...) to not
have gone to a show at the Point in all that time. Great place. And to think
I'll be back this week to see Monk! Anyway, the comfortable seating and no
smoking were a great joy to my wife and the children she's carrying. Also,
working the merch table gives us an excuse to meet many people there and to
encourage them to buy extra CDs for Christmas gifts.

Bill Mallonee plays. I was a fan of his before I ever heard of OtR, but I've
always managed to miss his live show. He is as good as I expected. However,
my wife (Amy, by the way) is a mental health therapist, and she has many
thoughts on his state of mind. Super nice guy, though. We saw the beginning
his second set, and he says that the Philly crowd is super polite. I think
that's where we decided he's nutso. Philly is known for being everything but
polite.

On to the main act. They open with Bothered, which I love, as this was the
first OtR song I had ever heard. Then was All I get for Christmas is Blue.
I'm pretty sure that My Love is a Fever came next. This has never been a
favorite of mine, but this version was pretty good.
Karen at this point tells us about the fact that marriage proposals at OtR
shows are a fairly common request. She then shared her marriage advice about
cooking with love and fighting naked. Finally she opened the floor to those
who might be inspired to propose. And a guy did! He made a lovely speech
about loving a wonderful girl and being best friends and wanting her to
marry him, and she said yes!
After a few minutes of applause, Linford says "I want to see a ring".
And this is where the sneaky Bastard part comes in. Our discipline-boot shod
friend who was sitting at their table pipes up and says "I happen to have a
ring" and give the box to him. It is a nice ring, I must say.
I never did catch who it was that got engaged, but my hats off to them, and
to his planning. I had arranged for flowers to be at our table when I
proposed to my wife, and I thought that was good planning. This was really
good, though.
The band took this opportunity to go into Fever, which was highly
appropriate. After this, I honestly don't remember the exact songs, or the
order. I loved hearing the cello, though. Mary's Waltz was beautiful, and
Jack's Valentine was fun. I like that song much more with a drummer.
Anyway, we had a great evening. It was nice to finally meet Ysobelle, and it
was nice to go to a show with my honey. I don't see us going to many more
shows together until after the babies are born, and then it will depend on
getting a sitter!
All in all, a great time!

Greg
-aka janweatherman