Shuba's Review

Well I went to the Shuba's Christmas show,went over and introduced myself to
Julie & friend at the table.She said she was going to write down the setlist
so that was cool.Anyone that's read anything I've written about other shows
knows I kind of delve a little more into the show then just they played
these songs etc.....Because that's what I want to  read from other shows so
here goes...

  First upon hearing about a drummer and a cellist I thought wow that
could really be cool and it was except that I wouldn't trade Jack for
a drummer,a cellist,a flutist and a tuba player to be named later!! His
guitar IS important and I know I speak for all of us: We miss it when it's
not there!!!I knew him moving wouldn't be good and it's not.On to the
show...Opening with "Spinning" from CRF was great,a swirling percussive
haunting moodsetter where Karin really gets to warmup right into a drumming
galloping "Bothered" which really came off good.Let me say right here this
20 yr.old drummer that they found over in Europe or somewhere is
fantastic!!! Sign this guy up longterm.Then all we need is Jack and a bass
player and we can have a band !!...LOL Let me also say
the cellist sounded great all night on every song but unlike a drummer,I
wouldn't know a bad cellist if I heard one.Up next came an absolutley
stunningly SLOW blue version of "All I Get For Christmas Is Blue" this one
hits a little to close to home always makes me cry and I really miss Jack's
lead that's on the only recorded version we have.Next was a surprisingly up
tempo version of "I let it go" a song I've so grown to love due to it's feel
of sadness and desperation,but between this tempo and the loneliness of
Jack's lead thats on the CRF version it kind of lost something but thank you
for playing it."Fever" came next sounded awesome and who's kidding who Karin
could sing me the phonebook and I'd get a fever.Linford remarked at how
"festiv and Christmassy" Shuba's looked decorated with wreaths,lights and
holly etc...and thanked us all for being here.The he said and I quote:"We
love it when people come"to which the crowd laughed.It was around this time
I started thinking to myself....hmmm those
that came here expecting a happy upbeat Christmas show of carols,OTR favs
and hit's are going to be a little dissapointed."My Love Is A Fever" was
next,Julie loves it but it wouldn't make my top 100 OTR songs(not for
me)...LOL "The Seahorse" broke the mood up a bit so I could tap my toe a
bit,very nice!The new song "She" about abuse came next,I'm still trying to
get a grasp on this one.I've only heard it a couple of times and I'm not
really getting the chorus never the less maybe a Christmas show isn't the
place to trot this one out??There was a stranger than normal hushed silence
at the songs conclusion due to the subject matter."Mary's Waltz" was
good."All I Need Is Everything" sounded great as usual,I think at this point
eveyone was happy to hear a song they knew well.Bill Mallonee came up to
help out on "I Shall Be Released" it was ok.The encores came next
"Darling,Christmas Is Coming"
sounded a little weird but I love this song.It was after this song during
complete silence that one guy has to YELL out his own personal
request."EVERYMAN'S DAUGHTER" he yells.That aggravates me!!So Karin says
"Is that your Christmas wish?" So she turns to Linford and they discuss it
and thankfully they go on with thier finale.Linford says it took awhile to
work up an arrangement for this "Mel Torme" classic as Karin
launches into "The Christmas Song"....Chestnuts roasting on an open fire"
Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE !!! The best I've ever heard it!!!Goosebump
city.When "The Velvet Fog" wrote it I know THIS is how he wanted it to
sound.I want a copy of this song!!!!!!Hint Hint

The show was good I enjoyed it but not enough to stay for the late show.
I knew it was sold out so when I walked out a guy was standing by the door
who stood with me in front of the stage for last years Christmas show.I said
I'm not staying for the late show and he said "I couldn't get a ticket I
waited to long.I handed him mine and said "Merry Christmas"!!!Enjoy the
show!! And headed off to the wilder side of town!

John (JB).....The Wildcard