Re: O, Canada!

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Dan Temmesfeld wrote:
> I love the exchange rates phenomenon.

Yeah, they say some distributors insist on Canadian DVDs being inferior to
the American ones, precisely to discourage this sort of thing.  Hence, the
Canadian _Memento_ DVD has no extras, and the image is slightly cropped --
the screen is still wide, but not as wide as the American DVD.

And now several studios are releasing DVDs with clunky bilingual packaging
-- even though the covers were clearly *not* designed for it.  How's this
for the height of absurdity: just as the spine on some DVDs has English
going down the spine while French goes up, or vice versa, thus cluttering
the spine so it now says both "The Lord of the Rings" and "Le Seigneur Des
Annaux", I recently saw the DVD for _Belle de Jour_ -- and it has "Belle
de Jour" going down one side and "Belle de Jour" going up the other.

 If true love never did exist how could we know its name? -- Sam Phillips
          Happiness happens but I want joy. -- Marjorie Cardwell